• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saba Vinegar

Shel_B

Recently I heard mention of "saba" vinegar, but have not been able tofind out much about it. Anyone know what it is or have some suggestions for its use? Has anyone used it?

hanks!

Shel

... Shel

Saba(as it is most often referred to as), is the unfermented grape must from wine grapes. It is often used as a sauce in itself with no cooking/altering. it is very delicious and tart. I have seen it used in many new american dishes, once again mostly as a sauce, sparingly. I suppose it is generally used much like a great aged balsamic vinegar.

I received a bottle as a gift and just love it over plain vanilla ice cream.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought a small bottle after reading Kerry's (and others) posting about it.

Just recently I made some baked apples (in the cute little apple bakers given to me by a friend) and drizzled some of the Saba over the apples just before serving - with a dollop of cream cheese. (I had no ice cream and was not going to shop because I am taking part in the "use it up" Klatch.)

The combination of flavors was exceptional.

I have used it only sparingly (when I remembered I had it - excuse is that I am 70 :biggrin:)

However, I agree that it "marries" well with the richer, fattier meats and poultry.

My favorite application is drizzled over a slice of foie gras.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett