• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sriracha peas?

Mr. Delicious

I got wasabi peas in my xmas stocking last year -- love 'em. They're like decongestant lozenges that taste really good. I can imagine the sriracha variety are just as satisfying.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I bought some of these for a pre-Thanksgiving nibble, and have eaten most of them myself. They are delicious and addictive! I find them spicy, but less so than the wasabi peas (which I also like, but haven't had in a while.) I'm also a big Sriracha fan, and I'm so glad I found this great snack (and that I'm not alone!)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

I would love to try these! &as for the aforementioned sweetness..

Just found these today and tried them... I really wish they weren't sweet -- to me the sweetness diminishes them -- I would prefer just spicy and salty.

I have come to enjoy the subtleties of siracha..

--(*I have come to squirting pea-sized dollops of the succulent sauce on my fingertip every time I open the fridge*)--

...I've become a fan of the sweetness i get at the end of my tongue,a fan of the invigorating tingle caught with every whiff i take :raz:

I just got these. I love them. Thanks so much for alerting me to them!

Is sriracha a trademarked term of Huy Fong, or is it a generic name for a style of sauce? These don't seem to be made with the Huy Fong sriracha, and definitely taste a bit different.

I find the best way to eat them is to suck on them and after all the spicy flavor has been extracted, chew up the pea. This makes it taste a lot spicier.

I would love to try these! &as for the aforementioned sweetness..

Just found these today and tried them... I really wish they weren't sweet -- to me the sweetness diminishes them -- I would prefer just spicy and salty.

I have come to enjoy the subtleties of siracha..

--(*I have come to squirting pea-sized dollops of the succulent sauce on my fingertip every time I open the fridge*)--

...I've become a fan of the sweetness i get at the end of my tongue,a fan of the invigorating tingle caught with every whiff i take :raz:

Clove -- I'm afraid these go beyond just the sweetness that is in the sriracha -- if I remember correctly, the first item on the ingredient list is peas, and the second item is sugar.

Clove -- I'm afraid these go beyond just the sweetness that is in the sriracha -- if I remember correctly, the first item on the ingredient list is peas, and the second item is sugar.

:( awwwhman I hate it when a good product is ruined like that

I just bought a can of these at Wegmans while futilely looking for sweet flour sauce. They're grrrreat! I've managed never to try wasabi peas, but love Sriracha, and decided to test them out. Very glad I did. Thanks!

P.S. For me, the sugar helps counter the spiciness of the Sriracha. These are plenty hot for me.

To the best (or worst) of my knowledge, a sriracha sauce is a typical sauce of Sriracha in Thailand. Spicy and sweet. I could be wrong, but I do know there are a lot of these on the shelves.

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to how to manufacture sriracha peas at home? I have sriracha sauce. I have peas. I have the technology!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found these and I like them even better than wasabi peas. I don't usually like spicy foods (although I love horseradish-spicy) and the sweetness, which I don't feel is overbearing, balances the spicy kick perfectly.

ADDICTIVE.

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow