• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Equipment: Rollers, Extruders, etc.

I need a recomendation on a pasta roller. Here are the details. Manual crank is fine. It will not be used daily in a pro kitchen, but occasionaly. I just want to be able to put some ravs or torts on small party catering menus. I don't want to spend a lot of money.

The Atlas machines seem to be available everywhere for cheap. Am I going to break it the second time I use it, or do they hold up? Any brand recomendations?

Years ago I used a huge mechanized unit. The last hand-crank unit I used was fine but I forget the brand name.

Thanks

I need a recomendation on a pasta roller.  Here are the details.  Manual crank is fine.  It will not be used daily in a pro kitchen, but occasionaly.  I just want to be able to put some ravs or torts on small party catering menus.  I don't want to spend a lot of money.

The Atlas machines seem to be available everywhere for cheap.  Am I going to break it the second time I use it, or do they hold up? Any brand recomendations?

Years ago I used a huge mechanized unit.  The last hand-crank unit I used was fine but I forget the brand name.

Thanks

I have an Atlas and I've had it for probably over 20 yrs....I use it a couple of times a month usually....they're pretty sturdy, IMO....and they ARE inexpensive.

I agree-the Atlas is sturdy. I had one for about 20 yesrs. If you own a Kitchen Aid mixer & want to spend a little more, buy the pasta ROLLER attachment (not the extruder attachment). I bought one a few years ago. It is well-built. I like having both hands free to guide the dough. Somehow I always felt like I needed an extra hand w/ the Atlas (I'm left-handed, and that was part of it-you use your right hand to guide the dough. That didn't feel quite right.)

I didn't notice any difference in quality of the finished pasta between the two machines.

I have an Atlas and they hold up just fine but, if you have a KitchenAid mixer, I'd also recommend their pasta roller attachment. At just under $100, it's about twice what I paid for my Atlas but it speeds things up and allows you two free hands (which is helpful when you're handling a long piece of pasta dough). I also like that it sits much higher off the counter top which gives you more maneuvering room.

I had an atlas for quite a while, then replaced it with a belpasta machine - their website completely sucks, but if you're interested it's here. The design is much better than the atlas machines - wider rollers, smoother crank, a better system to keep the dough from sticking to the rollers. It's worth the extra money over the other hand-crank machines if for no other reason than it makes wide enough sheets to use one noodle per layer for lasagna.

I have purchased this larger machine using Buy it Now 9 inch wide from this vendor, along with the motor, which they also carry.

And I find it is much more useful than the narrower ones.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Somehow I always felt like I needed an extra hand w/ the Atlas

Me too, so I got the optional outboard motor for my Pasta Queen. It's a lot easier (and faster) to feed the dough through the machine with both hands free.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

For about $50 you can get a motor attachment for your Atlas machine that will also leave both hands free.

I just realized, we're all going on about how handy the motorized system is, when the original question specifically said "hand crank is fine"! :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Somehow I always felt like I needed an extra hand w/ the Atlas (I'm left-handed, and that was part of it-you use your right hand to guide the dough. That didn't feel quite right.)

I have an Atlas as well and find it works very well and haven't had any problems.

I do agree with marie-louise's comment above. As another left-hander, I do find it a bit awkward to use sometimes...silly right-handed world...why do companies design things backwards? :raz:

Thanks guys.

and gals

I think I will go with an Atlas for symplicity sake. I can get one for about $40 or less. We have a kitchenaid but it is not in the kitchen all the time.

By the way...has anyone used the meat grinder attatchment for the kitchenaid? Any feedback?

I suppose there is a kitchen aid thread somewhere.

I still kick myself. When I ran a liquor store I had a cook come in with a robocoup from a restaurant that had gone belly-up and not paid him. He wanted to trade for a 12 pack of beer. I took the trade and sold it for $100 to a chef I used to work for. Wish I would have held it. I kept the mandolin that he threw in the deal.

Thanks for the info

• 1 year later...

I am interested in making my own pasta but am unsure of what type of pasta roller to buy. I would like to go electric and I have a KitchenAid mixer so I was going to buy the attachments but would like some feedback, can anyone help?

I upgraded from hand machine to Kitchen-Aid rollers. The KA kit is great, really easy to use, turns home made pasta into an easy mission. the gear is easy to clean too.

Resting time aside, home made pasta can be on the table in 15 mins.

After using a manual crank type pasta machine for the last 30 years, I just used the pasta roller/cutter attachment for the KA. The first time using it was a pleasure- I usually have to make the pasta solo and always found it a little difficult trying to load, crank and capture the pasta at the same time. It's like with the KA attachment that I grew an extra set of hands. By the way, I don't know what the expiration date on the offer is/was, but a $25 rebate form was readily available in many stores. Picked the form up in a store but then ordered it online (about $100, no tax, no shipping) so the final cost was about $75. Think it lists for about $129 or so. Will probably be making fresh pasta more frequently. :smile:

Mark A. Bauman

I'll chime in here with a vote for the hand-crank pasta roller - I either use a hand crank machine or a rolling pin to make pasta, the electric rollers don't give you as much control over the process. But, I drive a car with a clutch so maybe I'm a luddite.

Well, I was a Luddite, too, until I had shoulder surgery and bought a car with automatic transmission.

I have been debating about getting the pasta maker for the KA but was dubious. I'm glad to see that most who have it find it does the job. It may be my next splurge. There's nothing like homemade pasta.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of making a variety of pasta flavors and shapes and wonder which type of machine to buy. I have a book which has recipes using alternate grains such as spelt and soy flour. I also want to make flavored semolina pasta as well.

I have a KA and I see that there are two different kinds of attachments; a linguine and a ravioli maker. I would probably prefer to hand cut my own ravioli. Can the linguine attachment make plain sheets for lasagna and ravioli?

Or should I go cheaper and get a hand crank style? I see that many of you have an Atlas brand. Are there other brands you recommend?

I thought I should try rolling out the pasta dough by hand before investing in a machine. I know this takes some time but I don't mind if the results are the same or better.

What have been some of your experiences? I welcome all comments.

Go with the KA. Far easier. Far more consistent. Faster.

The fettuccine maker usually comes with a plain sheet roller and an angelhair attachment as well.

I never use the cutters, only the roller.

Use the rollers no higher than setting 2-3 for speed or you will tear your pasta.

Good Luck!

I agree with IrishGirl. The KA attachment makes it so much easier to bang out a batch of pasta. Important for me is the fact that you can do it all by yourself. I always found I was looking for an extra set of hands whenever I used the hand crank pasta maker.