• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth Or Tale...

nyfirepatrolchef

I think the green stuff is just where the dye's been rubbed off.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I once spent the day making cheese with a raw-milk cheese maker near Quebec City. At the end of the day we all sat down and ate cheese. It was covered in a 2-cm thick carpet of green fuzz, a.k.a. MOLD! He said he liked it that way -- without bread, of course. After two slices, I was ready to hurl. :blink::blink:

When I was in high school I spent a summer working at a grocery store that had a cheese counter. One of my duties was to inspect the chevres (goat cheese) daily for mold. If I found any, I had to grate it off, rewrap the cheese, and put it back on the shelf....

Edited by swissmiss (log)

Anne E. McBride

I wouldn't worry too much about the mould. EU regulations will soon eliminate such icky, stinky medieval traditions. A sterilized green/blue (or white for brie etc) organic dyed, oat-bran derived, cellulose product is almost ready for release to replace the un-hygienic penicillium mould in blue cheese. All the flavour and texture of real mould, but not actually mould. Organic chemists have also isolated the esters responsible for the flavour of moulded cheese; these are encapsulated in patented micro-liposomes for release when the customer requires such and event.

After all, life is too short to wait for a cheese to ripen.