• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Best Manhattan variations?

155 posts in this topic

Oh, this is a good one: the Blue Collar

• 2 oz rye
  • 1⁄2 oz sweet vermouth
  • 1⁄4 oz CioCiaro
  • 1⁄4 oz maraschino liqueur
  • 2 ds orange bitters
  • 2 ds Angostura
  • Lemon twist

I've come to realize certain accompaniments really bring peanut butter out of Rittenhouse for me and that happened here. Well balanced and tasty. More complex and interesting than a Red Hook, which is a fave.

Edited by Craig E (log)
1 person likes this

So a fully Brooklyn-ized Red Hook. Sounds delicious.

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'm a big fan of simply substituting the Vermouth with Tawny Port.  The other night I made a drink we call The Woodcock.

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey - 2 oz.

Cockburn's 20-Year Tawny Port - 3/4 oz.

Angostura Bitters - 3 strong dashes

Garnish with Maraschino cherry

Stir and strain into glass.

A close friend from Portugal hunts woodcock all over Europe AND he works for the Symington Family.  If you aren't familiar with them they own some of the best Port houses (Graham's, Dow's, Cockburn's, Quinda do Vesuvio, Smith Woodhouse, etc.) in the Douro (region where Port is produced).  Everything fit perfectly from the concoction to the name to the people partaking in the festivities.  We have since made/drank this many times.  The Tawny Port is so much more complex than the sweet Vermouth.  As a result, the drink takes on a more nutty presence and showcases a lot more depth.  (Of course, my opinion.)

3 people like this

Manhattan (Employees Only, 2006) with Rittenhouse rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Grand Marnier, Angostura bitters.

From Food & Wine Cocktails 2006

1.5 oz sweet vermouth

1 oz rye

1/4 oz Grand Marnier

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Orange twist

It's almost like an aperitif with more sweet vermouth than rye! But I used Rittenhouse 100 so the drink still had plenty of punch. Nice orange notes from the Grand Marnier.

Manhattan a la Employees Only with Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Rittenhouse rye, Grand Marnier, Angosturs bitterd #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #whiskey #ryewhiskey #grandmarnier

2 people like this