• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Manhattan variations?

skbohler

Oh, this is a good one: the Blue Collar

• 2 oz rye
  • 1⁄2 oz sweet vermouth
  • 1⁄4 oz CioCiaro
  • 1⁄4 oz maraschino liqueur
  • 2 ds orange bitters
  • 2 ds Angostura
  • Lemon twist

I've come to realize certain accompaniments really bring peanut butter out of Rittenhouse for me and that happened here. Well balanced and tasty. More complex and interesting than a Red Hook, which is a fave.

bluecollar.jpg

Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 1

So a fully Brooklyn-ized Red Hook. Sounds delicious.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of simply substituting the Vermouth with Tawny Port.  The other night I made a drink we call The Woodcock.

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey - 2 oz.

Cockburn's 20-Year Tawny Port - 3/4 oz.

Angostura Bitters - 3 strong dashes

Garnish with Maraschino cherry

Stir and strain into glass.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/id

A close friend from Portugal hunts woodcock all over Europe AND he works for the Symington Family.  If you aren't familiar with them they own some of the best Port houses (Graham's, Dow's, Cockburn's, Quinda do Vesuvio, Smith Woodhouse, etc.) in the Douro (region where Port is produced).  Everything fit perfectly from the concoction to the name to the people partaking in the festivities.  We have since made/drank this many times.  The Tawny Port is so much more complex than the sweet Vermouth.  As a result, the drink takes on a more nutty presence and showcases a lot more depth.  (Of course, my opinion.)

WoodCockManhattan.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Manhattan (Employees Only, 2006) with Rittenhouse rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Grand Marnier, Angostura bitters.

From Food & Wine Cocktails 2006

1.5 oz sweet vermouth

1 oz rye

1/4 oz Grand Marnier

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Orange twist

It's almost like an aperitif with more sweet vermouth than rye! But I used Rittenhouse 100 so the drink still had plenty of punch. Nice orange notes from the Grand Marnier.

Manhattan a la Employees Only with Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Rittenhouse rye, Grand Marnier, Angosturs bitterd #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #whiskey #ryewhiskey #grandmarnier

• Like 3

17 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Manhattan (Employees Only, 2006) with Rittenhouse rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Grand Marnier, Angostura bitters.

From Food & Wine Cocktails 2006

It's almost like an aperitif with more sweet vermouth than rye! But I used Rittenhouse 100 so the drink still had plenty of punch. Nice orange notes from the Grand Marnier.

I've been wanting a Manhattan lately but our current summer-in-October weather has been so danged hot that it wasn't right.   I tried this last night.  An ideal Manhattan for an 80+ degree October evening.

Thank you for sharing.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been wanting a Manhattan lately but our current summer-in-October weather has been so danged hot that it wasn't right.   I tried this last night.  An ideal Manhattan for an 80+ degree October evening.

Thank you for sharing.

You are very welcome! I love pretty much every Manhattan variation, and thought that one was a very interesting take between the fact that it was vermouth-heavy, and the Grand Marnier. I am glad you enjoyed it.

It's funny because I found other Manhattan recipes from Employees Only on the web and it seems that they have tweaked their ratios over the years, progressively increasing the rye (this one is 1.75:1.5, while this one is 1:1). If someone has their book, I'd be super interested to know which version they ended up publishing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

2 oz Rye

1 oz  Cappelletti Aperitivo

1/2 oz Maraschino

good cherry

2 oz Bourbon (too cowardly to try rye but hey I used  Bulleit)

1/2 oz Amargo-Vallet Angostura

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

good cherry

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)
  • Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

On 1/11/2017 at 4:46 PM, EvergreenDan said:

2 oz Rye

1 oz  Cappelletti Aperitivo

1/2 oz Maraschino

good cherry

Yes, this was terrific. Manhattan-ey, but brings out a nice sweet peanut and spice out of the rye.

Needs a name!

IMG_2609.png

• 2 months later...

Bughouse, a tasty Harvard variation via Michael Madrusan and Zara Young's A Spot at the Barir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=174379131 with 2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, 1 oz Cocchi vermouth di Torino, 3 dashes Angostura bitters, dash St. George absinthe

Bughouse, a tasty Harvard variation via A Spot at the Bar with 2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, 1 oz Cocchi vermouth di Torino, 3 dashes Angostura bitters, dash St. George absinthe #cognac #sweetvermouth #absinthe #angostura #cocktail #aspotatthebar

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one comes off as an orange-ish Manhattan. The Calisaya adds the orange flavor but with some bitterness and not much extra sugar, so it doesn't come off as cloying.

1.5 oz. rye

0.75 oz. sweet Vermouth (we usually use Vya)

0.75 oz. Calisaya

2 dashes orange bitters (I use a homemade version but the Arizone Bitters Lab Orange Sunshine works well.)

Stir, with ice, strain, serve on a big ice cube. Garnish with an orange twist.