• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Manhattan variations?

skbohler

One quick diversion to my favourite booze shop on the way home from work later (we were nearly out of bourbon, I discovered, when I went to make a Williamsburg last night) ...

Very nice.  Buffalo Trace, Punt, Carpano Bianco and my liqueur de laurier standing in for yellow Chartreuse.  Definitely to be added to the top 10, I think (which probably has something like 100 drinks in it now).

Merci encore, madame.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The Williamsburg (Clif Travers via Gaz Regan), which is described by its creator as a cross between the Greenpoint and the Red Hook. Old Weller 7-year bourbon (Elijah Craig 12-year bourbon), Dolin dry vermouth, Punt e Mes, yellow Chartreuse.

I thought it was a bit too herbal for my taste but it was well received by its Manhattan-loving recipient.

Do you think the Yellow Chartreuse gave you most of the herbal component you noted? Or was it the combo of the Dolin, PeM and Chartreuse?

I ask because the bourbon substitution you made was from a softer wheated bourbon (I presume Old Weller Antique 107 proof? Used to be a 7yo but is now NAS) to a lower proof but older and typically a bit woodier rye based bourbon. I wonder if that would make any noticeable difference?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Do you think the Yellow Chartreuse gave you most of the herbal component you noted? Or was it the combo of the Dolin, PeM and Chartreuse?

I ask because the bourbon substitution you made was from a softer wheated bourbon (I presume Old Weller Antique 107 proof? Used to be a 7yo but is now NAS) to a lower proof but older and typically a bit woodier rye based bourbon. I wonder if that would make any noticeable difference?

Something to do with the combination of the Dolin dry vermouth, Punt e Mes, and yellow Chartreuse. Maybe it would have been better with the Old Weller, I am not sure because I've never had it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not much for variations on my Manhattan, just love it the way I was taught to make it. I believe I was told to remember the original area code in Manhatta (212) to remember the recipe. 2oz Rye, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes bitters. 

My only variation is winter/summer. 

Winter is served up, with cherry garnish.

imagejpg2_zps975d2ca9.jpg

Summer is served in an old fashioned glass, one or 2 huge ice cubes and citrus garnish (depending on which I have, lemon is usually on hand).

Annette

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fred Yarm of cocktail virgin slut merged the recipes for the Manhattan and the Sazerac, two of my favorite cocktails, in his Merchants Exchange Manhattan. I made my rendition with Willet 5-year rye, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Peychaud's bitters, and St. George absinthe.

17706655004_28a4133dec_z.jpg

Craig,

Cocchi vermouth di Torino is a regular sweet vermouth. The Torino style is actually the most common style of sweet vermouth; see Martin Doudoroff's vermouth 101 for more info.

To me, Cocchi VdT feels a little more subdued than other sweet vermouths I tried, but still has a great amount of complexity. Its chocolate notes work great with Fernet for example (it's fabulous in a Hanky Panky). Diffords has pretty detailed tasting notes here.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Irish Manhattan (The Dead Rabbit) with Jameson Black Barrel whiskey (Redbreast 12 Irish whiskey), Dolin sweet vermouth + wormwood infusion (Margerum amaro), Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao, Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Orinoco bitters, expressed orange peel.

Slightly sweet and dangerously smooth. These were gone in no time at all.

20886917896_74ef09920f_z.jpg

And another one...

Hearn (Jack McGarry, The Dead Rabbit) with Knappogue Castle 12 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey (Redbreast 12 Irish whiskey), Dolin sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), green Chartreuse, The Dead Rabbit Orinoco Bitters, absinthe (St. George) , orange bitters (Regan/Fee/Angostura), expressed orange peel.

20750965178_c4b87b2e3a_z.jpg

That one overwhelms with herbal notes at first. A flavor bomb with the green Chartreuse and absinthe dominating, and the Margerum in the background. Then a soothing wave of Irish whiskey with caramel and sweetness. But the wave is short-lived and the herbal tide comes back in full force. It's fascinating, although not as easy to like as the Irish Manhattan previously described. That one would make absolutely anyone fall in love with Manhattans, no question about it. It's irresistible.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 2 months later...

This one which was created as a variation on the Red Hook has an everything-but-the-kitchen sink approach, but it works very well. It is spicy and interesting, with a long finish from the Chartreuse which reminded me of another favorite Manhattan variation, the Greenpoint.

Red Head (Mathias Alsen via Gaz Regan) with Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey, Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, Martini Gran Lusso sweet vermouth, Campari, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Averna, green Chartreuse.

22673180856_b528b62f7a_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

Frog, you're better at citrus garnishes than many professional bartenders I know. (Namely me.)

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I love the Greenpoint but there is another Manhattan twist that I am fond of.

Joseph AKHAVAN, a French (yes another one :raz:) bartender, presented his 44°43’N/142°30’E (it represents Hokkaido’s GPS coordinates) which allowed him to win the 2011 edition of the Nikka Perfect Serve. This cocktail is now known as Bamboo Crane.

Bamboo Crane :

50 ml Nikka From the Barrel

15 ml Carpano Antica Formula

7,5 ml Xérès Pedro Ximenez

2,5 ml Bonal

1 dash of Peychaud’s Bitters

3 drops of Bob’s Abbotts Bitters

I can only recommend you to try this sublime twist of the Manhattan.

Bamboo-Crane-Credits-Laurence-Marot.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Employees Only's Manhattan

1,5 oz Rye

1,75 oz Sweet Vermouth

0,5 oz Grand Marnier (I used PF)

3 dashes of Angostura

Obviously less dry than a standard Manhattan, I found this version not bad but I guess I was expecting it to be better.

Manhattan.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 5:41 AM, ananth said:

I love the Greenpoint but there is another Manhattan twist that I am fond of.

Joseph AKHAVAN, a French (yes another one :raz:) bartender, presented his 44°43’N/142°30’E (it represents Hokkaido’s GPS coordinates) which allowed him to win the 2011 edition of the Nikka Perfect Serve. This cocktail is now known as Bamboo Crane.

Bamboo Crane :

50 ml Nikka From the Barrel

15 ml Carpano Antica Formula

7,5 ml Xérès Pedro Ximenez

2,5 ml Bonal

1 dash of Peychaud’s Bitters

3 drops of Bob’s Abbotts Bitters

I can only recommend you to try this sublime twist of the Manhattan.

Bamboo-Crane-Credits-Laurence-Marot.jpg

Sounds interesting but given how hard Nikka from the Barrel is to get in the US I am reluctant to use much for a cocktail. I wonder if I could get away with Yoichi, especially the newer NAS bottle although that isn't much easier to find these days, or perhaps Hakushu which I think will also be NAS going forward.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Trying this substituying the base whisky would obviously change the taste but it doesn't mean that the result will not be good. Try it and give us a feedback :D

Perfect Prescription
http://imbibemagazine.com/perfect-prescription-recipe/

S&C and saline solution bring an interesting dimension to this drink. However, I found it to be a litte too dry for my palate ; Pierre Ferrand's cognac which is "rounder" than Rémy Martin's VSOP should give a better result. And I guess that my dry vermouth spent a little bit too much time lying down into my fridge ¬¬

Perfect Prescription.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Fallback (Sasha Petraske) with Rittenhouse 100 rye, Daron XO calvados, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, amaro Montenegro, Peychaud's bitters. I got some caramel notes, chocolate from the vermouth, apple of course, and a lot of orange and spice from the Montenegro.

Fallback (Sasha Petraske via Fred Yarm) with Rittenhouse rye, Daron XO calvados, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, amaro Montenegro, Peychaud's bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rye #whiskey #manhattan #amaromontenegro #calvados

• Like 2

That's delicious, FP.  I used Rittenhouse and an amateur Calvados produced by distilling some cider a friend had made and decided he didn't like.  Could it be any better with 'proper' ingredients?  Hard to imagine.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

On September 3, 2016 at 3:44 AM, lesliec said:

That's delicious, FP.  I used Rittenhouse and an amateur Calvados produced by distilling some cider a friend had made and decided he didn't like.  Could it be any better with 'proper' ingredients?  Hard to imagine.

Always good to have friends around with fermented liquids they don't need!

• Like 2