• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Manhattan variations?

skbohler

That's a big 'un. If I had 4 cocktail-luvin' friends near me, I'd buy one and split it, which would be rather economical. They have a hard candied outer skin/shell and are bursting with concentrated fruit flavor. I liked the ones I made, but I love these.

When we all first got together, donbert, johnder and I split a can of these.  My portion lasted me about 2 years.  Now, I buy the smaller jars.

Had a nice Manhattan the other night (out).  The place I was at had Wild Turkey 101 rye.  Pretty good stuff.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

huiray, on 11 Mar 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Whatever the variation, how cold do you folks like it?  With or without ice bits floating in it?  Shaken or stirred?

As cold as i can get it through stirring, into a frozen glass.  No floating ice;  There shouldn't be any if you've stirred.

I never did respond.  Thanks for your answer.  I myself also don't like ice bits floating in it, and for myself it should be stirred, NOT SHAKEN.  When I have gotten shaken ones they have almost always had teeny micro-bits of ice (sometimes quite a lot) in it, let alone the opaque Slushy-Drink look it will have.  They invariably get sent back.

huiray, on 11 Mar 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:snapback.png

When I have gotten shaken ones they have almost always had teeny micro-bits of ice (sometimes quite a lot) in it, let alone the opaque Slushy-Drink look it will have.  They invariably get sent back.

There should be a hotline to report this sort of thing  :angry: 

• Like 1

I tried:

2 oz Whistlepig

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 teaspoon FP Dry Curacao

1 dash Angostura

Still no garnish.  I like this better than my previous manhattan which was:

2 oz Rittenhouse

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 dash Angostura

If using curacao as an ingredient would one still consider using orange bitters?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Rhythm and Soul (Greg Best). A Manhattan leaning in the direction of a Sazerac, described as having "the rhythm of a Manhattan and the soul of a Sazerac". Rye (Bulleit), Averna, sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), Angostura bitters, absinthe verte (St. George), lemon peel, served Sazerac-style.

14047844960_21229a4034_z.jpg

Rhythm and Soul (Greg Best). A Manhattan leaning in the direction of a Sazerac, described as having "the rhythm of a Manhattan and the soul of a Sazerac". Rye (Bulleit), Averna, sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), Angostura bitters, absinthe verte (St. George), lemon peel, served Sazerac-style.

I may have to try this over the weekend.  I've got a little bit of Meletti left which I'll use in lieu of the Averna.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

14047844960_21229a4034_z.jpg

Hmm, have always liked Greg Best's concotions (supposedly he is opening up a new place in town soon). Tend to like the rye in my Sazerac to be a bit more on the lower rye and higher corn side like Baby Saz or Rittenhouse. I wonder how this would work with one of those compared to Bulleit. I guess it is a good thing it is a long weekend!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

In the mood for a Manhattan like something, I landed on the Antiguan Plaza (Link). It was originally listed in my notes as the Cuarto Trimestre, so I had a bit of trouble re-finding it.

Antiguan Plaza

0.75 Oz Banks 7 Rum ( I used Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Buffalo Trace (Wild Turkey 101)

0.75 Casa Mariol Vermut Negre (Punt e Mes)

0.25 Oz Benedictine

1 ds Orange Bitters

1 ds Angostura Bitters

Stir, strain, rocks, orange twist.

A very tasty, rich Manhattan alternative. Really hit the spot

Just a simple one last night: 2 ounces Canadian whisky (Pike Creek), half an ounce Punt e Mes, and a good couple (three) dashes of Élixir végétal de la Grande Chartreuse. Man, that stuff takes over a drink fast. I think it could have handled a dash less Elixir and a quarter-ounce more Punt e Mes, but it was still plenty tasty.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 2 weeks later...

Historic Core by John Coltharp. This cocktail was created as part of a competition that was included cocktails named for the subdistricts in Downtown Los Angeles.

1 oz bonded rye (Rittenhouse), 3/4 oz apple brandy (Daron XO), 3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Margerum amaro), 1/4 oz green Chartreuse, dash Angostura bitters, lemon twist.

A very harmonious Manhattan variation.

14341596395_24eefec178_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can it be called a Manhattan variation if it contains some shrub?

I just made a shrub! My appetite for stone fruit is once again (happens every year this time) greater than my ability to eat it, so I took a combo of peach and plums that were very ripe and juicy and made my first shrub. I haven't tasted it yet, as it is mellowing in the fridge, but I don't see how it can not be yummy. But what do I do with it?

We love a standard rye Manhattan, so what can we do to add some shrub and come up with a good drink? We have a variety of vermouths, Cocchi di Torino, Bonal, Fernet Jelinek and Amaro CioCiaro. We also have a few very basic bitters: peychaud, angostura, Regan's orange. Also I kinda need a name for my hybrid fruit shrub: It is one peach, one black plum and one Santa Rosa plum. Peplum? Peachum? Plump? Make me a Plump Manhattan, please!

• 2 weeks later...

That's great.  How about Suntory Whisky with Sake; call it a Tokyo.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I went with a Manhattan/Brooklyn variation by Erik Ellestad, The Dix-Huitième, aka Eighteenth Cocktail

Rye (Bulleit), white vermouth (Dolin), Gran Classico bitter, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo).

A tad on the sweet side as Erik noted, balanced by a nice level of spice and some intriguing flavors from the Gran Classico.

14543048710_de815d973c_z.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I Also tried:

2 oz Whistlepig

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 teaspoon FP Dry Curacao

1 dash Angostura

It was a great experiecne , i always loves the manhattan varaiations.

That looks great. It reminds me of another one I make sometimes, the Home on the Range.

A classic - Remember the Maine with Willet 2-year rye, Dolin sweet vermouth, Luxardo cherry liqueur, Angostura bitters, St. George absinthe.

Lots of licorice between the rye and the absinthe (and possibly the Dolin red). Potent and beautiful.

15462200934_e289572f67_z.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Williamsburg (Clif Travers via Gaz Regan), which is described by its creator as a cross between the Greenpoint and the Red Hook. Old Weller 7-year bourbon (Elijah Craig 12-year bourbon), Dolin dry vermouth, Punt e Mes, yellow Chartreuse.

I thought it was a bit too herbal for my taste but it was well received by its Manhattan-loving recipient.

16630827745_3b35957234_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

The Williamsburg (Clif Travers via Gaz Regan), which is described by its creator as a cross between the Greenpoint and the Red Hook. Old Weller 7-year bourbon (Elijah Craig 12-year bourbon), Dolin dry vermouth, Punt e Mes, yellow Chartreuse.

I thought it was a bit too herbal for my taste but it was well received by its Manhattan-loving recipient.

What are the proportions, FP?  Sounds like me, but I haven't been able to track it down online.

2/.75/.5/.25 sound about right?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory