• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What ONE cookbook can you not live without?

Shamanjoe

Anna, Pierogi, and Marmish... Have any of you tried the "Manly Meatballs" from 150 best recipes? I was thinking of them for a superbowl party, but they seem so basic I just can't imagine they're as good as the recipe claims... At the same time, cooking fatty meatballs on little slices of bread until they merge is tempting me...

Anna, Pierogi, and Marmish... Have any of you tried the "Manly Meatballs" from 150 best recipes? I was thinking of them for a superbowl party, but they seem so basic I just can't imagine they're as good as the recipe claims... At the same time, cooking fatty meatballs on little slices of bread until they merge is tempting me...

I have not. The recipe did not call out to me at all. That's not to say it might not be great but it just didn't seem to fit into any of the meals I make even for parties.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have not. The recipe did not call out to me at all. That's not to say it might not be great but it just didn't seem to fit into any of the meals I make even for parties.

Me neither, Emily. Like Anna, the concept just didn't really speak to me, and I don't usually host those kid of events where they'd be appropriate. I just went back and re-read the recipe, and it does sound interesting, but again, I don't usually do the sort of bash where they'd be in context. For a Super Bowl party though, maybe.

For dinner, when I think meatballs, I also think sauce and pasta (or rice, if I'm making Mexican chipotle meatballs, but that's another topic).

I'd be interested in your review of them if you decide to forge ahead.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Reference: "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" (2001 - Knopf), Julia Child

Comfort: "A Love Affair with Southern Cooking" (2007 - Morrow), Jean Anderson

Ideas: "The Southern Cookbook" (1951 - Chapel Hill), Marion Brown (it doesn't hurt that there are several recipes by my mother in it <g>)

I've just recently taken delivery of a copy of Thomas Keller's "Ad Hoc at Home" and it is quickly gaining a place on the kitchen bookshelf (as opposed to the seven shelf cookbook bookcase in the dining room.)

- TT

Tom Tyson

Marcella Hazan, Essentials of Italian Cooking

Julia Child, The Way to Cook

Nathalie Dupree, Comfortable Entertaining

Ina Garten, various

For basic stuff, Fanny Farmer, Joy of Cooking, and Bittman's How to Cook Everything

Chris

"What's more, I believe it's a cook's moral obligation to add more butter given the chance."

Michael Ruhlman,
Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind Everyday Cooking

Me neither, Emily. Like Anna, the concept just didn't really speak to me, and I don't usually host those kid of events where they'd be appropriate. I just went back and re-read the recipe, and it does sound interesting, but again, I don't usually do the sort of bash where they'd be in context. For a Super Bowl party though, maybe.

For dinner, when I think meatballs, I also think sauce and pasta (or rice, if I'm making Mexican chipotle meatballs, but that's another topic).

I'd be interested in your review of them if you decide to forge ahead.

Well, for what its worth, the manly meatballs from the 150 Best Recipes were wretched. Tried them on Superbowl sunday, and they were so bad I couldn't serve them, tried to salvage the meat and couldn't, and ultimately gave the meat to the cats. Just a salty, not-meaty-tasting-at-all, mess.

. . .

Well, for what its worth, the manly meatballs from the 150 Best Recipes were wretched. Tried them on Superbowl sunday, and they were so bad I couldn't serve them, tried to salvage the meat and couldn't, and ultimately gave the meat to the cats. Just a salty, not-meaty-tasting-at-all, mess.

Thanks for taking one for the team :hmmm: I will avoid them forever! But sorry they didn't work out for you. Wasting food, time and effort is such a downer. Be interesting to hear if anyone has a different take on them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My Larousse...over six thousand recipes in a book that fits in my purse. I love that!

Is that the Petite Larousse?

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

• 10 years later...

Hello all,

I've been around a long while but almost feel a re-introduction is in order.  I've PTSD and as it turns out a longstanding total body neuro issue is a precursor condition, about 90% within the next 5-10 years, to Parkinson's.  So debilitating pain and serious mental clouding means I feel like a newbie again, again, etc.  So sorry for any dropped conversations or posts....I have always loved this community.  Enough on that.  Perhaps a bit of background.

have walls of books.  Most have been unused tbh.  I find myself returning to Keller, Ferrandi, regional French more than anything else.

Especially over the last stretch, I find solace in leaving today and here for French cooking, dated at that.  Certainly a top book is Peterson's Sauces.  I've no grand ambitions left and only a narrow field, by choice.  My question goes to the 2nd (I have) v. 4th.  Thoughts, experiences.

While here, I only know one chef personally who attended ESCF.  I was accepted long ago (I cringe at my arrogance from posts here back then), but I know Bruce Sherman of Chicago attended, praised it highly.  I don't see too much here. though more from a member here who attended (sorry, can't recall who) than the books, but has anyone enjoyed the ESCF text>  I have their three.  Just curious.

Stay safe.

• Like 6

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

59 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

So sorry for any dropped conversations or posts....I have always loved this community.  

Never a need to apologize here. Welcome "back". I realized reading through I had never replied. I have down-sized for many reasons over the years and divested many books.. Never really cook from recipes, just use them as inspiration. I mean the piqued interest I've gotten from males seeing Madeleine Kamman's "When French Women Cook" on the shelf in my little beach kitchen was quite hilarious. She has wonderful stories. And Kim Severson's "Spoon Fed" is always on the nightstand - on top of it though is the one that gives me the most cooking propulsion so I'd have to call it my "one" for now: Melissa Clark's "In the Kitchen With a Good Appetite".

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, paul o' vendange said:

While here, I only know one chef personally who attended ESCF.

Forgive my ignorance but what is ESCF?     I’m curious because I think we have similar taste, so I want to look them up

Of more recent books the ones that seem to get my creative juices going most are Jeremy Fox’s On Vegetables and Pascal Barbot’s Astrance: A Cooks Book

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is ESCF?     I’m curious because I think we have similar taste, so I want to look them up

Of more recent books the ones that seem to get my creative juices going most are Jeremy Fox’s On Vegetables and Pascal Barbot’s Astrance: A Cooks Book

Oh, not at all.  It stands for L'École Supérieure de Cuisine Française, one of the oldest cooking schools in France.  Also known as Ferrandi, it’s well respected and personally I love their textbooks.  Their main book is only in French but their pastry and chocolate texts are in English.  I really like them all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

• 11 months later...

Here is my way of answering this question: what is the cookbook I travel with to visit family and friends? Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom by Julia Child, and usually I also bring some spice blends from Penzey’s. Then I am prepared for anything. These days, or anyway once we can travel again, I may also bring Beat Bobby Flay, though that is more sizeable and may not make the cut.

• Like 2