• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definition of handmade chocolates

Ceviz

I'm producing handmade truffles, pralines, and most of them containing cream ganache. Other person, making chocolate covered dried fruits, names their production "handmade" as well. My shelf life 3-4 weeks at most, his shelf life one year. Besides, he's not spending labor like me. So, I want to stress the difference between us for my customers. How can I do that?

My question is: What is the most distinctive feature of handmade chocolates? What is the handmade chocolate? It is just a chocolate made with real hands? ... or it is the chocolate that is not suitable for factory production?

I will use your opinions as a part of my marketing strategy. Thanks in advance.

I think adding Artisan or Artisnal is a good idea. I call my chocolates 'Artisan Chocolates and Gourmet Confections' as part of my selling point. If they want more of a definition of Artisan then I tell them I make them all by hand and by myself.....

Rena

I'd be careful in your use of terms. A chocolate maker is generally someone who starts with beans and makes the actual chocolate. A chocolatier or confectioner buys couverture and other chocolate and uses it to make various candies. If you aren't making the chocolate from beans, I'd be careful about saying they are all 100% handmade.

I am also wondering if you use any molds....

Honestly, I'd focus more on the fact that you are, presumably, using the freshest real-dairy (organic?) cream & butter without preservatives. 'To experience our genuine cream-filled confections at their peak of freshness, please enjoy before day/month.'

I dont feel the use of molds or any scale of production should deter a product from being handmade, given that it is "made by hand" and without machine. I dont think the amount of labor he expends should have any bearing on his product, or reflect it in a negative light. I have been working with chocolate for three years, and I can promise you there are many people on this forum that can make twice the product - by hand - in half the time as me. Does that mean their product is inferior to mine? I specialize in marshmallows - I make 42 different flavors (Like Blueberries 'n Cream, Chai Spice, and Mango Habanero) and my kitchen is set up to make 12 cake pan size batches per hour. All by hand, except for the mixer spinning the sugar solution. I doubt many that make mallows as part of their line make them on the level I do, but does that mean my product isn't hand made or isn't Artisan?

His stuff probably has a longer shelf life, not because of preservatives, but because he just uses dried fruit coated in chocolate. Do you have any idea how long a chocolate covered rasin will last? I think my grandpa has some that he brought back from his missions into Allied territory on the outskirts of Germany.

And I would agree, its generally assumed a choclate maker "makes chocolate" - starts with the bean, sugar, cream, and goes from there. Chocolatiers buy chocolate from chocolate makers and mold, shape, fill, and infuse it.

Adding artisan to your work may be a viable option. Artisan foods are generally only prepared locally (i.e. - You cant buy an Artisan product at every Target in the U.S.) and are generally made with very high quality ingredients. They tend to have trendy flavors, cool designs or packaging, and are generally made in small batches by hand - although the use of molds is still considered made by hand.

Anthony Thomas makes handmade chocolate, and its available in half the country. Same for Ben Heggy, etc. Still handmade. In terms of handmade, there is no difference in those regional brands and the guy down the street that makes buckeyes by hand all day long. I mean, Steak and Shake makes handmade burgers, but they are a far cry from the local drive-ins burgers. To me, handmade is overused and does nothing from the standopint of a consumer. Walmart fills there bakery with handmade cookies and pies, yet they are nothing compared to local amish bakers. Both make handmade products though, and both tout it as such. Push the artisan idea, tout your fresh ingredients and complex flavors, and stand by your product.

PLEASE FORGIVE TYPOS!! AND THE RAMBLING ITS 3 AM HERE in OHIO....AND I HATE THE WORD HOMEMADE!!

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I also think that enrobing dried fruit in chocolate, if doing by hand, is time consuming as well and also artisan handmade confections. Perhaps it is less artistic as it does not involve recipe development, which is what is different. One can beatifully decorate dried fruits and arrange them in an artistic fashion but unless they are filled with something it does not involve recipes.

Perhaps you should find a way to emphasize the art and skill involved in this area.

I tell people I am an artisan chocolatier in that I make all my own fillings and hand mold or hand dip all my products. I explain to my customers that making bonbons is like building a house. It is very labour intensive. I also explain what makes a product good (tasty) are the ingredients. I source the best I can find and I choose companies that are passionate about their products. I also like a good story behind my products. Maybe the organic sugar cane comes from a plantation in Brazil, or the vanilla beans are from a plantation in Mexico... The more my products have a story the more my customers are drawn in. Don't worry about your competitors, focus in on how unique you are. Get your products tell a story.

I totally agree with prairiegirl. I never worry about competition, in fact I often admire and enjoy "competitors" products. A good chocolatier is to be appreciated after all! Each one should find their own way, recipes and be unique. I feel I am unique in that I use chocolate that most don't, in my recipes,decorations and my enjoyment. I even feel strange to say that I am a chocolatier...

How do we define that?! I usually say that I make chocolate confections when asked what I do. Prairiegirl-it is amazing that you find all these raw materials and tekk about them! It myst be fascinating for a customer! Just lovely!

From the brief description above I would say that both of you can claim handmade chocolates. I think what you need to focus on is not descriptive words regarding how the chocolates are made, but rather on the fact that you create truffles, pralines, etc... and do not just coat dried fruit.

The word chocolate can be applied to any candy which uses chocolate...chocolate bar, truffle, coated nuts, etc... Just because two products claim to be handmade chocolate does not remotely mean they are comparable. Focus on your centers...handmade truffles, handmade pralines (not handmade chocolates).