• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking For The Best Plucking Duck in NYC

RichyRich

Off with my head if I missed this already but I am looking for the best Peking Duck in NYC, you know, one of those crispy oil dripping golden beacons of flavor. I don’t care if you think its Daniel's Duck Ala Press or some dumpy whole in the wall MSG Shack. Post away people, I am salivating already….(post the price if you know it)

"I bid you peace, until we meet again"

~Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith

Peking Duck House on Mott has long been touted as the best. Unfortunately I've never been nor do I know who are it's main competition. If your on a mission maybe start there and compare it with some others who have the word "Peking" in their name? http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/text/peking/all-areas/all-neighborhoods/all-cuisines/

That wasn't chicken

I went on this search last year. If they have it in stock, I would suggest Big Wong King. It's simple, authentic chinese, but they do peking right. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/big-wong-king/

But the last few times I've gone, they haven't had it. It's great. If there are any other suggestions, let me know. By no means do I believe Big Wong King to be the best peking duck I've ever had (that goes to Tony Cheng's in Washington DC)

Without any question, IMHO, Peking Duck House either on Mott or 53rd. (They have two locations). Best Peking duck in NYC.

I really question this, not because I've had better in NY, but because the duck at Peking Duck House is so much worse than the stuff I've actually had in Beijing. Is PDH really as good as it gets?

PDH is always good but Mr. Chow's uptown is often better.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

One time, my wife and I were headed to PDH on Mott... when we got there, the line was so long, and that was for people with reservations! So we walked around the corner and into a place with decent looking ducks hanging in the window... the place was filled with Chinese people (always a good sign).. you can get a whole duck for $30-40 - I forget which, but somewhere around there... when you get a whole duck, they serve the breast meat and skin with steamed buns and house made hoisin sauce, then there's a second course consisting of the rest of the duck picked off the carcass and served with a stir-fry with vegetables. It's a very bare bones place - but the duck has been excellent the few times I've been there (probably 4 times over the last year and a half). Plus, quite a bargain compared to PDH. The place is called Hsin Wong - it's on the corner of Mott and Bayard - it has the yellow sign and has the ducks and char siu hanging in the window.

Without any question, IMHO, Peking Duck House either on Mott or 53rd. (They have two locations). Best Peking duck in NYC.

I really question this, not because I've had better in NY, but because the duck at Peking Duck House is so much worse than the stuff I've actually had in Beijing. Is PDH really as good as it gets?

I haven't been to Peking Duck House, but because I had such great Beijing Ka Ya in Beijing in 2004, I haven't had any since in New York.

Michael aka "Pan"

Peking Duck House is not that great. I'm telling you, trust me, Big Wong King. You won't be disappointed.

I hate to say it, but I'd suggest trying this question on Chowhound, too. Their group is larger and you may get some more input. I say this simply because I've been to PDH quite a few times, and while their duck is decent, it's certainly nothing special compared to a really great one. Wish I could provide more options to try, but I'd assume that somewhere in this city (maybe Flushing, maybe one of the shmancier places such as Chinatown Brasserie) there must be a superior version. A number of years back, I had better Peking duck at Kam Chueh, which sadly is gone now. Where are our Chinese experts when we need them? :)