• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Has The Best Italian Christmas Panettone in The Boroughs?

RichyRich

Ok my 88 year old (soon to be 89) Grandfather has been buying panettone on Bleecker Street in Manhattan his whole life, he goes to either Bruno's (no longer there, now in Staten Island where he lives) and or Rocco's. As the years goes by he is getting crabbier and keeps saying "it’s not the way it used to be", he is done with both Rocco’s & Bruno’s. He is looking for an authentic dense, fruit filled and moist Genovese style (not Milanese) Panettone. No box suggestions please either. I will travel with him wherever. HELP!!!

"I bid you peace, until we meet again"

~Frugal Gourmet Jeff Smith

Well, I had it a couple of years ago. I remember it was good. Sorry I can't be of more help. It's homemade as you wanted. Everything else in that bakery is delicous in my opinion so I'm sure it can't be so bad!

Honestly, I would venture to say that most Italians buy the box! In fact, where I live (in Italy) pretty much everyone does! There are good and bad brands though so you have to make sure you get a good one. I think I've only ever had a bakery bought one once in Milano. And it wasn't good and was extremely overpriced! Must be all that butter! Agata e Valentina will probably be selling the boxed version as will all the other Italian boutique stores...what brand had he been getting?