• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Recipe Game

Shalmanese

Create a variation of the last recipe in this thread. It could be swapping out ingredients, changing the cooking method, using it in a different cuisine. Be creative!

I'll start:

BLT Sandwich:

Ingredients:

Crispy Bacon

Iceberg Lettuce

Vine Ripened Tomatoes

Mayo

2 slices of Toast

Preparation:

Slather toast with mayo, pile on lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and crispy bacon. Eat.

Next!

PS: I am a guy.

Fun topic, the obvious ...

Swap out iceberg for your choice, perhaps romaine. Don't make mayo, 3 parts fat to 1 part vinegar, enough to make a dressing with the egg yolk & with salt and pepper, dijon, perhaps a little hot sauce. Make bacon bits. assemble tasty salad. Oh, and use the bread to make some croutons.

m

I'll play with the title...

BLT Sandwich:

Blueberries

Lemon Mayo

Toasted Almond Pain de Genes

Pain de Genes:

400g almond paste

250g whole eggs

35g trimoline

2.5g fine sea salt

60g all purpose flour

110g unsalted butter, melted

Slowly incorporate the whole eggs into the almond paste. Add the trimoline and salt. Add the flour, mixing just until incorporated, then the melted butter. Spread on a parchment lined 1/4 sheet pan. Bake at 180C (350F) for about 15 minutes, or until thoroughly baked.

Lemon Mayo:

185g whole milk

25g lemon zest

35g sugar

1g salt

2.5g agar

17g lemon juice

75g grapeseed oil

Heat the milk just to a simmer. Stir in the lemon zest, remove from the heat, cover and let infuse for 30 minutes. Strain, and return to the pan. Add the sugar, salt, and agar and stir well. Bring to a full boil. Remove from the heat and chill until solidified. Break up the gel and puree it in a blender until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in the lemon juice followed by the oil. Chill.

Blueberries:

1 pint fresh blueberries

60 g. blueberry juice

30 g. butter

10 g. honey

Seal the blueberries in a vacuum bag and cook in a water bath at 63C (150F) for 1 hour. Heat the blueberry juice and honey over low heat. Whisk in the butter until melted. Remove the berries from the bag and toss in the syrup.

Cut small squares of the cake and toast in a hot pan with a little butter. Shoot some of the blueberry syrup on a plate in whatever manner looks nice to you. Add a square of the cake, slather it with some lemon mayo, spoon on some blueberries and top with another slice of the cake slathered with the mayo. Maybe add a quenelle of lemon ice cream on the side.

Disclaimer: this is just a play on the theme from my head. I've done all of these components but I haven't actually done this as a dish so it may completely suck!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tomato and L'escarole soup garnished with Bacon and Croutons fried in Bacon fat

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The point of the game is to create a variation on the most recent recipe so the next poster should post a variation on Tomato & L'escarole Soup. Also, quoting the recipe in your reply will make it clear what you're making a variation on.

Do we need to maintain the core ingredients in the variation, or can we use most of them but drop one or two?

Variation on Tomato & L'escarole Soup

Using thickly chunked bacon, thicken up your tomato soup until it gets to more of a sauce consistency, layer it in a baking dish in alternating layers with some thickly sliced and toasted stale bread. Serve over a rough chop of iceberg/romaine lettuce and top with some herbed goat cheese.

edited to reflect the fact that I meant use the thickly chunked bacon as an ingredient, not as the actual thickening agent..

Edited by Shamanjoe (log)

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

The point of the game is to create a variation on the most recent recipe so the next poster should post a variation on Tomato & L'escarole Soup. Also, quoting the recipe in your reply will make it clear what you're making a variation on.

So does that mean I varied it too far by just playing on the name of the dish rather than the specific ingredients? I was actually riffing on your original post but the other one sneaked in between while I was typing it out... not sure how to avoid that possibility though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.