• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to make lamb bacon

technogypsy

I have not tried it, but Wylie Dufresne (among others) has used "meat glue" (transglutaminase) to bond his lamb breasts together before making lamb bacon. The stuff just seems too strange (and scary and expensive) to me. I raise sheep: our bellies/breasts are always pretty thin. I still smoke them and just use more like pancetta.

MEJ

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

I just got this in my email and seemed timely to add it

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/features/multimedia/?cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=352369

looks like fun

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just got this in my email and seemed timely to add it

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/features/multimedia/?cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=352369

looks like fun

tracey

The rúllupylsa from Iceland is pretty much the same as Danish rolepølse. All the recipes I've seen require the brining step (though the one you linked to said that was optional).

What the recipe did not specify is that it's best to sew it shut before brining and simmering; that way the herbs/spices stay put.

Lamb is traditional, but it is also made with pork or beef flanks, or veal, sometimes a combination of meats. The Danish style of seasoning, however, is considerably less exotic than that shown in the Iceland recipe: simply salt, pepper, allspice, and onion. And saltpeter or other curing salt in both the brine and mixed in with the spices.

I've yet to undertake making rolepølse, since I indulge in it when I visit Racine, Wisconsin (at one point in time, Racine had more Danes than any other city in the world save Copenhagen), or Brooklyn. In Racine I buy it at O&H/Danish Uncle, and in Brooklyn at Nordic Delicacies in Bay Ridge.

Make sure to slice it very thinly.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report