• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2010

Chuffed to bits for the new additions, especially, Texture,, 21212, Harwood Arms, Galvin at Windows, etc, etc.

Of special mention has to go to Wales, boyo, FOUR Michelin Stars now, they will be singing in the valleys very loudly today.

Congratulations, Shaun Hill back to where you belong.

Sadly no Anthonys :sad:

No Abode, No Church Green, oh dear.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Pipe and Glass get one, so Yorkshire now has six starred places (assuming no-one lost one, as I haven't seen the coverage of that). Black Swan in Helmsley as rising (odd, over the Fev Arms?), even though I hear strong rumours that ownership will be changing soon

Abode was never going to get one. Underground, bad (and bewildering) service. Think Harvey Nicks second floor might overtake them (and The Aumbry from every account I've heard, still haven't got there)

Enjoyed The Guardian Food tweet, "oh surprise, the Michelin list has somehow leaked in time for the weekend papers, again"

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Here's our full list of all the changes in London: http://www.hot-dinners.com/Gastroblog/Latest/michelin-2010-uk-guide-stars-leaked-again

And a full revised list and details of all the restaurants with stars in London: http://www.hot-dinners.com/restaurants/search-results?jr_michelin=1star_2stars_3stars&order=rjr_michelin&query=all

Quite surprised that Corrigan missed out, myself.

Edited by gavinhanly (log)
Hot Dinners - London's Top restaurants, reviewed by the critics and you

very pleased for the pipe and glass i thought they were ready for it now, whites in beverley got a bib too.

heard that black swan were throwing chefs at the job to get a star so hopefully it pays off for them, one of my old boys is cooking there.

you don't win friends with salad

heard that black swan were throwing chefs at the job to get a star so hopefully it pays off for them, one of my old boys is cooking there.

Yeah, hefty finance, but arguments going on

Piazza by Anthony's with a new Bib too, so he's got Bibs for that and Flannels.

No Bibs in Manchester is actually more shocking to me than no stars. SUrely This n That should get one? And White BUll in Ribchester lost their Bib

A very special mention to the owners/management at The Goose Britwell Salome who superbly have identified special talent in Matthew Tomkinson, Mike North, and now extremely young and talented Ryan Simpson. All of whom now have achieved Michelin stardom at said establishment.

And don't even ask (or think of it) I have no connection whatsoever, I am just amazed at the foresight. :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

I'm a bit gutted for Simon Rogan at L'Enclume our meal last year was two star and many people on here would agree.

He should have another.

Chef tip Sat Bains, must be a bit disappointed not to have moved forward for all of his hard work this year.

@d_goodfellow1

I'm a bit gutted for Simon Rogan at L'Enclume our meal last year was two star and many people on here would agree.

Well, I don't know how many people from here were at your meal to comment on its quality but the two or three meals I've had at L'Enclume over the last year have definitely NOT been of two-star standard. Its too variable, he suffers from constant changing of the menu (and from ROgan and Co now) and if the Michelin inspector gets one of his bizarre choices (I shall never recover from venison and banana as a main), he's lucky not to get stripped down entirely. Oh and the service is either snooty (sommelier), incomprehensible (Eastern Europeans) or very good. Inconsistent again.

Another michelin year, another shocker.

From my experiances I thought Sat Bains, L'enclume and Wishart were stone wall 2 stars this year.

The one star level is bizarre.Having been lucky enough to eat at five of the new one stars last year,

how the hell Adam Simmonds at Danesfield House is not worth one is extremely puzzling.

A bit more of an interesting list this year I think. As others have said I'm very pleased for the Harwood Arms, Texture, Ledbury and Windows. However where Is Galvin BDL which IMO is much better to Windows and is way above Arby et al. Bit surprised at the Lanesbrough (but pleased) although will be interesting to see if business picks up there. Also surprised Hix nor Corrigan didn't get one. Ducasse was always going to get 3 no matter what really although having been to Louis XV earlier this year they are not on the same planet (although not many are). But if he gets 3 what about the square and Waring especially? Shame for Gordon though... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

...bit of a no-brainer this...of course Ducasse will get 3*...Great chef but more important than that is that he's French..

But its a sh1t restaurant - not determinative I agree but surely that must have some relevance?

.....well well well, what a suprise...

On the Irish front, congrats to Cliff House in Waterford, I must get there now. Disappointing to see that MacNean House didn’t even get a rising star.

On the Bibs, no surprises that La Maison kept the Bib that La Maison des Gourmets had, and good news for Nick Munier’s Pichet as they are obviously not looking at awarding an Arbutus-type star this side of the water. Looks like The Winding Stairs’ loss was The Pig’s Ear's gain, will be good for getting them back on the radar. Ironic that Bang lost its Bib just as it has gone wallop.

The glaring omission on the Bib front once again is Alexis Bar and Grill in Dun Laoghaire. I cannot understand how they don’t have a Bib. They are doing everything right, the food is fantastic and it is about the best value around.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601040&sid=a8qbvaCEOcM4

I did say we would hear on here first did I not :wink:

Well done to Paul Kitching at 21212, however no surprise.

I wasn't surprised with Dickie Corrigan not getting a star, did not rate it when I went. Nor surprised about Abode or anything around Manchester (sorry).

The White Bull lost its Bib due to chef Chris Bell leaving and taking over Longridge.

Really surprised at Simon Radley as a rising 2, stayed in The Grosvenor over the summer and had the tasting at SR, found the room antiquated and staid, the servive snooty, the food boring ( infact left half way through the meal) and very top heavy on "fine" ingredients for the sake of. Mind you these are the things Michelin look for.

Some fantastic additions, bet there will be some happy smiley people (and some not) out there now :cool:

David I am really surprised regarding your prediction that Matt Follas of Masterchef fame would achieve a star, what do you think happened ??? :biggrin: