• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2010

PhilD: the Belgium rules?

Ben Mcmayon: Yeah I never thought about that aspect. Don't really get that new menu thing it's a bit of a random thing to do and seems somewhat out of his place considering what his other place around the corner does. Yeah I think he probably does deserve two at this stage but agree with the pissing off of everybody and the occasional inconsistency.

You seem somewhat excited about Petrus? You going to be working there or just a fan of Ramsay?

Also you said you think Sat will go to two? I take it you have been there? Is it worth a visit? Have you been to L'Enclume?

Eating at the Church Green this saturday haven't been before but would surprised to see it get a star. Then again I didnt eat at the Dorchester when he was there although I presume its not quite at that standard. Although I can predict what kinda of food we will get having eaten Tom Aikens, Shane Osborne and Dylan McGrath similarities must run between them all considering the time they all spent together!

Anybody have an idea how Nathan Outlaw will fare in January? Not dined there myself, not for want of trying, its just way too far away without tying into some other foodie visit.

I would expect him to be unrated given the closure of the current restaurant and the move to Rock. I can't remember how they treated Hibiscus, didn't they need to prove themselves to get their stars back?

Now Nathan has moved there is no excuse not to head down to Padstow/Rock as it is a culinary centre: Margot's, No6, and now Nathan's which means you can avoid Rick Steins various places. As an aside my partner tried to book his new Australian venture, but the receptionist was so up herself that she has vowed never to cross their threshold; seems Rick has exported the attitude as well as the food...!

They knocked Hibiscus back to one star after the move.

Isn't the problem for Nathan Outlaw that the new guide is published on 20th January, but his new restaurant in Rock doesn't seem to be open until 12th February? (Based on his website here).

I would expect the restaurant in Fowey to lose its star since he has left, but if the new place isn't open yet I don't see that it can be included, unless the "Belgian" precedent mentioned earlier in this thread is applied?

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned Adam Simmonds at The Oak Room, Danesfield House, he is the only four AA rosetted chef not to currently have a Michelin star.

He held one when in Wales at Ynyshir Hall so should be high on the list of possibles.

Not eaten his food, yet, so can't comment from experience but pedigree and AA credentials easily make him a good bet.

Happy New Year :biggrin:

http://news.caterer.com/article/view/restaurant/19535232/chef-tipped-to-be-next-gordon-ramsay/

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Think/hope la Potiniere in Gullane will at last get a star...

Didn't it have one star years back but lost it when it was sold over?

...yeah ,believe so about 7 years ago..The chef now is Mary Runciman...Scottish rural chef of the year or some such and with a host of other minor accolades,she said the michelin man had been in a couple of times this year but no other clues.

I had another truly excellent dinner there on Tuesday evening, 29th of December and the following evening went to Ondine in Edinburgh which is headed up by Rick Steins old head chef...decent enough but nowhere near in the same league. IMHO if Ms Runciman was in London she would be seen as at least the equal of the ladys Gyngell,Hartnett, Gray and Rogers.

Edited by confiseur (log)

From an Edinburgh perspective, I’d like to see Wishart rewarded with another star as they seem to have reached that benchmark. Though I don’t think that 21212 deserves a star, I expect that it will be given one for the same reason that the Plumed Horse is now stared.

Judging from my partner’s recent reports of Michael Caines' in Manchester and the Church Green, both seem to be off the mark of their first star (largely due to mistakes front of house).

Edited by beef_and_burgundy (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a survey of predictions from chefs, including Atherton, Bains, Bonnet, Bosi, Corrigan, Demetre etc http://www.bloomberg.co.uk/apps/news?pid=20601040&sid=a220rC7N.nuI

A star for frankness to Russell Norman of Polpo: “Michelin is less relevant than ever. I had a pretentious meal at Ducasse that left me craving real food and honesty”.

A star for networking skills to L'Anima.

Apsleys not mentioned. Minus a star for networking, two stars for the cuisine.

Theo Randall? Ah ah.

I've had some very classy and fine meals at Texture, I wish them well.

But in the end Russel Norman is right: who cares?

Publication is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Tuesday, January 19. Here's a survey of predictions from chefs, including Atherton, Bains, Bonnet, Bosi, Corrigan, Demetre etc http://www.bloomberg.co.uk/apps/news?pid=20601040&sid=a220rC7N.nuI

Welcome aboard Richard.

I follow your column weekly,and am looking forward to your well informed contribution.

Nearly posted the link myself as I read it on Staff Canteen yesterday :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

A star for frankness to Russell Norman of Polpo: “Michelin is less relevant than ever. I had a pretentious meal at Ducasse that left me craving real food and honesty”.

Isn't that like York City FC saying they don't think the Premier League is relevant to football.

Isn't that like York City FC saying they don't think the Premier League is relevant to football.

Which would be a very apposite point, wouldn't it?

Some fantastic additions, bet there will be some happy smiley people (and some not) out there now :cool:

@d_goodfellow1