• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2010

Who has got the potential to win three stars? Possibly Marcus Wareing, Robert Thompson, Sat Bains, Simon Rogan, Andrew Fairlie or Nathan Outlaw to name a few? There is a definite lack of movement at the very top end.

Nathan Outlaw was given one star this year and marked as a "rising two-star", so three would have been very optimistic.

However, despite the excellent meal we had there earlier this year, I imagine that his move back to Rock will result in the Marina Villa in Fowey losing its star completely and the new place won't be open in time for the 2010 guide.

Possible movers based on my experiences of late... I'll further endorse L'enclume for two - it never disappoints (me); with Wisharts as a deserved riser too. The Pipe and Glass (East Yorks) might get a star in the pub category this year or next.

But I was very underwhelmed by Mallory Court - not star standard on my visit. The Capital was a weak at its 2* grade also, and that before Chavot left. And I still see nothing at re-branded Northcote to merit a rise (although I saw someone arguing for this somewhere this year).

I'd like to see some regrading -up and down, as deserved- but as ever, I suspect, it will be another year of over-cautious stasis from Michelin.

Find it strange there is no mention of Tom Aikens at all...He has been at 1Rising for two years now, Does no one think he will get his second star this year? I appreciate he has had his problems but surely if based purely on the food and restaurant which michelin supposedly is, he warrants a second star.

L'Enclume for 2 finally and would very happy to see Hibiscus go to 2Rising, Ledbury to two would be surprising but in reality it is probably worth it as it is as amazing restaurant.

Find it strange there is no mention of Tom Aikens at all...He has been at 1Rising for two years now, Does no one think he will get his second star this year? I appreciate he has had his problems but surely if based purely on the food and restaurant which michelin supposedly is, he warrants a second star.

L'Enclume for 2 finally and would very happy to see Hibiscus go to 2Rising, Ledbury to two would be surprising but in reality it is probably worth it as it is as amazing restaurant.

Anthony's must surely get a * this time! Are the people at the red book completely mad!?

LCS was probably the worst meal of any * level I've eaten (including the fantastic tasting dessert, terrible/no presentation), although i'm sure everyone has an off day, not at this level! Has anyone else noticed that the water tastes like bleach, as does the bottled 'mineral water'? A filter for the whole supply can't be that expensive!

On the up side Marcus Wareing should get 3, 21212 will prob get 1, as will Abode Manchester.

I'd be very surprised if Abode got a star. Although the food is good, they are badly let down by the front of house. Every time I've been, there's been an error (wrong starter, wrong wine twice, not bringing water) that just feels badly wrong at a restaurant aiming at these heights. It's a shame for Ian - I really do enjoy what he does and he's in a different league from most of the chefs in my fair city.

Also, I've always been convinced Michelin don't like giving stars to places that are basically underground. See also Anthony's

Le Gavroche? Maybe it would be back up to 3 if it were above ground. Certainly if you were to compare LG and the Waterside Inn, foodwise they are comparable, service better at LG, but the WI does have a significantly better setting.

Cheers, Howard

i have to slightly disagree with you there David, the hotel environs you speak of actually support and allow Michael to express himself futher than he maybe able to in a stand alone operation,also with out the financial restraints that would be rested on his shoulders in an inner city restaurant, he is a great chef no question but you have to also give credit to the hotel for their support and considerable investment they have put behind him it certainly isn't keeping Pennyhill park in profit and of course the hotel benefits from the relationship from a selling point of the hotel and as a marketing tool. :wink:

I have noticed that Michelin has decided to modify it ruler over the past few years after criticism that it is too France-centric and French-cuisine-centric. It has started Guides outside of Europe and has been awarding macarons all over the place, especially in awarding the 3* prize. Non-European cuisines have been recognised both inside and outside of Europe and so many 3* ratings have been awarded in Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto) for Japanese and European cuisine, and China (HK and Macau), and the US. And then the 3* in Europe has increased yet again for 2010, in Italy 6 and Spain 7, whilst Germany already has 9. There's clearly a shift taking place in their focus.

As for the UK, we'll have to wait and see if they award another 3* to our paltry 3. We can speculate and cogitate but we cannot decide for them.

fingers crossed for l`enclume for 2 stars, ledbury seems to be rocking this year very positive feedback from nearly everyone i have spoken too, would like wishart to rise to 2, and good luck to artisan, love to see champ/sauv go to 3 stars too, greenhouse for 2 would be great :smile:

I know it is meant to be about the food on the plate but my my guess is the service at LCS will always hold them back; apparently very good if Helen knows you, less good if she doesn't.

I agree about Wishart, we had a sublime meal there, a far better standard than many other starred restaurants in the UK. It will be interesting to see how Bath Priory fares now it is under Caines, we enjoyed a very good lunch there, and it should stay starred.

It would be very good for Brett to get a second one for The Ledbury and even better if he receives the bonus by Stephen getting one at The Harwood.

Meanwhile across the water in rain drenched Ireland….

We’ll be one star down as Dylan McGrath’s Mint restaurant was a casualty of the recession and is no more. All the others, should be safe, with no changes, they all fought hard to keep open during the downturn (well, apart from Chapter One which is constantly booked out), a valiant lot, deserve their stripes.

Neven Maguire’s MacNean restaurant in Cavan had a Michelin visit, apparently they found some of his dishes too complicated (not in relation to other top end restaurants I would have thought) but liked it overall, so hard to gauge if they are going to award it a star this year. It’s a glaring omission IMO, the country’s top destination restaurant outside of Dublin, and certainly ahead of one of the most recently awarded stars.

Critics’ favourite for a new star is Ananda, a joint venture with Atul Kochhar and Sunil Ghai. I’m not familiar with what it takes to get a star for ethnic cuisine, but it doesn’t feel one star to me. The room is not great (upstairs in an upmarket shopping mall, baby highchairs on view as you walk in one of the doors), and the food is certainly good, but I thought lacked a bit of crispness. Still, the Kochhar pedigree will probably stand to it. China Szechuan is a far better overall experience in my view.

Most exciting opening of the year was Pichet, jointly headed up by Nick Munier of Hell’s Kitchen fame and Stephen Gibson, former head chef at L’Ecrivain. Very much in the Arbutus/Wild Honey mould, the focus is on really good food at a reasonable price, so if they keep up the standard, could be looking at a star in 2011.

Will be incredibly surprised if Ananda gets a star, it's not at that level. Is China Szechuan a contender in your opinion? To be honest I would never have placed either in a group who would be vying for a star. Certainly not China Szechuan, Ananda is nice but I think in comparison to the other starred restaurants in Dublin they would feel hard done by if Ananda was to get one.

As for Pichet, It's good but I think it is hype over substance in some ways. Can't see it getting a star. Gibson obviously has the pedigree to do what ever he wants with the place. I can not see the pair of them deciding to go for a star, it's not what they set out to achieve and it would probably hinder their aims as opposed to helping them. Have you visited L'Ecrivain since Gibson's departure?

Dax and Pearl are worthy mentions also..but again I doubt it. Pearl would probably take a star if they could get. I dont think Dax needs/wants it but it definitely one of the best restaurants in the country.

Hopefully in the new year Dylan will get what he needs behind him to give it another go. He is incredibly important to this country on account of his ability and how he would be able to move the country forward in terms of our view of food. It would be a shame if he was forced to leave in order to be a success.

I agree with Tonto in relation to Ananda and Pichet. I think Pichet is a contender for a Bib in the future but not a star and I personally don't think Ananda is at one star level. I'd rate China Sichuan way ahead of it and view it as a more worthy contender.

The only other movement I forsee is Thorntons regaining it's second star. Kevin has been back in the kitchen and focused for over a year and the quality is back to where it was when they won two stars.

I think that Conrad Gallagher's new venture Le Salon de Saveurs will be the big hit for 2010. I understand that he is going all out for a star, and with three tasting menus at €24, €34 and €44 he appears to have pitched his prcing with the recession in mind . One thing is for sure, he won't be short of media attention when he opens.

I agree that Ananda is not at star level, I was just referring to speculation in the Sunday Business Post

It may be located in a shopping centre but, to misquote Oscar Wilde, Ananda is looking to the stars. Having won Chef of the Year, Sunil Ghai looks set to win Ireland’s first Michelin star for the New Irish. This would be no surprise, considering Ananda is a collaboration between Ghai and Britain’s first Michelin-starred Indian chef, Atul Kochhar.

And no Tonto, I don’t think that China Szechuan has any aspirations in that direction at all, I just think if there was to be a star awarded for ethnic cuisine, it should be ahead of Ananda.

I don’t think that Pearl or Dax are contenders either. I had a very good lunch in Pearl earlier in the summer (much better than the much lauded One Pico deal IMO), and the place is really lovely since the refurb, but I don’t feel it’s at the standard. And Dax, as you say, quite clearly have no interest in a star. One of my favourite places, although I had a very disappointing lunch there about 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I haven’t been to Thornton’s in ages, my brother was there on Sat, so must get update from him, and based on your comments Patrick, it sounds like a visit is long overdue. I was in L’Ecrivain earlier in the year but not since Stephen left; friends have been and say that it’s the same, no slip in standard.

On Pichet, I don’t think they’re after stars, but if Michelin is looking for a bistro deluxe to award, it is certainly at the right level. But yes, all eyes will be on Conrad Gallagher next year. I loved his food at Peacock Alley, it was so exciting at the time when he opened, so despite his much publicised past (and future), I’m looking forward to him being in the kitchen again, and particularly at those prices.

ok here we go :-

tom aikens still rising 2*

ducasse 3*

church green 1*

capital 0*

vineyard 0*

william drabble 1*

aubergine 0*

rhr 3*

nathan outlaw still rising 2* because of move!!!

shaun hill walnut tree 1*

eastside inn 1*

corrigans 1*

sketch 1*

foilge 0*

sat baines 2*

marcus wareing rising 3*

gidleigh park rising 3*

square rising 3*

one for next year petrus to be the 1st english restaurant to win 3 stars straight away next january!!

What makes you think Aikens won't be given a second after two years rising?

Why Sat Baines to two? (I havent been just curious!)

Wen does the new 'Petrus' open? I am sceptical as to whether a Ramsay restaurant would be able to reach 3 stars again (all talk about RHR is that it risks falling to two), Is it exciting enough? Who is behind Petrus? Askew?

Wen does the new 'Petrus' open? I am sceptical as to whether a Ramsay restaurant would be able to reach 3 stars again (all talk about RHR is that it risks falling to two), Is it exciting enough? Who is behind Petrus? Askew?

I assume Ben was thinking that they would apply the Belgium rules.

the new petrus opens in january/febuary, and yes askew is chef patron!!! aikens has a more simple menu along with his a'lacarte which has vanilla and chocolate ice cream green salads on etc, i feel that the simplifing part of his menu and fucking off every1 with the administration means still rising 2 but i hope he gets 2, his food has calmed down alot since i worked with him but have heard he still can be inconsistent!!