• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2010

Sorry to raise your hopes, but I am not privileged to inside information on the upcoming guide, which will no doubt be leaked on here, as it was last year.

It may seem a bit premature, however we are only seven or eight weeks from publication date and no doubt chefs and restaurateurs up and down the country will be waiting to see how they fare, good or bad.

Do you have any ideas or information (speculation or not) as to the winners and losers

Looking forward to the response

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I would like to see Birmingham get another star for Edmunds. Chef Andy Waters has been awarded six in the Good Food Guide 2010 along with other Brummie stars, Simpsons, Turners and my fave, Purnells.

Will Manchester break its duck, with Abode? I have only been twice, for the amazingly good value lunch menu, however Ian Matfin sure does know what he is doing.

@d_goodfellow1

What about the Walnut Tree? Can Shaun Hill join James Summerin for Wales,s other Michelin star?

I have not been of course, so can only speculate.

He has more than his share of fans on here who may be in a better position to answer that one.

@d_goodfellow1

Might 21212's absence from the GFG be about timing of when it opened and inspection dates?

Just looked it up on the 21212 thread, as you know we were there on the opening night which was May 20, would have thought it plenty of time to make it into GFG

@d_goodfellow1

Mustn't give in to Michelin speculation

Mustn't start

Not again

Please no

Oh go on then:

They'll give Ducasse 3 because they are up his backside

Hibiscus to go to rising 2*

Same with The Square rising 2*

...bit of a no-brainer this...of course Ducasse will get 3*...Great chef but more important than that is that he's French..

Think/hope la Potiniere in Gullane will at last get a star...

Edited by confiseur (log)

...bit of a no-brainer this...of course Ducasse will get 3*...Great chef but more important than that is that he's French..

Think/hope la Potiniere in Gullane will at last get a star...

But its a sh1t restaurant - not determinative I agree but surely that must have some relevance?

Interesting developments in the Hong Kong guide. Lots of new one starred places including "hole in the wall" dim sum places (albeit cheffed by ex three stars). I wonder if we will see changes in the UK, less French more British? Although wise to bear in mind that food in HK is a lot more serious for the average punter than in the UK hence all the bright lights in restaurants: quality must be seen.

I hope the Harwood gets one, my second favourite meal after The Sportsman.

Do you think if the Harwood gets one then all the more reason for the Ledbury to get two? Would seem crazy for the two of them to be on the same level. Would be well deserved in both cases.

Also think the Greenhouse could/should go to **.

On food alone, the Sportsman should go to ** but it probably won't.

Eastside Inn for a star (Bjorn has got one everywhere else...)

Corrigans for a star? Didn't impress me much but most people loved it.

Would love to see Ducasse and RHR lose one each but can't see that happening...

And strip them from the two Nobus (and maybe give one to Roka?). Again more a what I'd like to see hapen rather than what will happen.

What aboot bonny Scootland?

I have just recently relocated from London to up there (here). Aside from the usual suspects, I was pleased and surprised to find several less exhalted places offering stunning materials (I fed on the freshest crab and lobster all end of Summer and I am now feasting on extraordinary mussles, game, mushrooms, and to be honest many London venues should feel ashamed by comparison). Almost none of them is at star level because of the cooking, but I have repeatedly eaten Michelin level food at 63 Tay Street (that's the name as well as the address, how efficient), in Perth. Graeme Pallister is, in my opinion, a talent. So there's my offchance bet. The Seafood Restaurant in St Andrews might also be in line.

I can't say i've heard or seen much to suggest drastic changes this year. 21212 will surely get a star, Anthony's will as ever go without (should I even bring it up?) and elsewhere little will happen. I'll put my neck out and say that RHR will stay 3*. If it was going to change, it would have done last year. I've not seen anyone suggest this year that it is any better or worse than the level it was at this time last year, even if that level had suggested to us 2*. Personal opinion, of course. :raz:

There are a few places that have changed chef in the last few months. Foliage, Vineyard and Capital spring to mind. I imagine they will lose out.

I have only eaten at the Waterside Inn once and it was five years ago, but I was not overwhelmed. I would like to think the new kitchen and time to fully take the helm will have improved things but I am not certain three stars is the correct rating.

In terms of winners – L’Enculme should have more than one.

Helene Daroze is worth two in Paris and seems to work in her London kitchen during the week.

What about Sketch? I remember reading that Pierre Gagnaire is spending a little more time in London – Ducasse and Robouchon both have two stars but Sketch remains on one.

I think Corrigans will win one star, based on the many positive reports and his previous star status. My experience, unfortunately, was a non event.

Food wise Le Champignon Sauvage is worth a promotion to three. I think they will stay on two.

Marc Wilkinson at Fraiche is also capable of more than single star status.

Maybe Le Gavroche and RHR will swop ratings.

Who has got the potential to win three stars? Possibly Marcus Wareing, Robert Thompson, Sat Bains, Simon Rogan, Andrew Fairlie or Nathan Outlaw to name a few? There is a definite lack of movement at the very top end. Do we have to trade stars at the two / three star level or are they awarded on merit regardless of the total number at each level?

There are some really odd choices at one star level, especially in the Pub and Asian selections. I suppose that is what makes the whole thing so interesting.

Of the places I have eaten this year I would say I was most impressed by LCS and L’Enclume.

Martin.

Martin

Who has got the potential to win three stars? Possibly Marcus Wareing, Robert Thompson, Sat Bains, Simon Rogan, Andrew Fairlie or Nathan Outlaw to name a few? There is a definite lack of movement at the very top end. Do we have to trade stars at the two / three star level or are they awarded on merit regardless of the total number at each level?

hmm... i would have thought outlaw deserves no stars