• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking sources in Boulder area

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for a long while but had always found answers to questions I had through the forums. Thanks! Finally I have a dilemma. I just moved from NYC where you can find almost anything! to all you can dig piles of organic compost 45 mins north of Denver. I've been looking since I moved about 3 months now for baking supply stores between Boulder and Fort Collins. I did find one in Boulder but it's seen better days and they have an extremely limited supply of equipment, tools etc. I know I won't find anything in the likes of NY Baking supply on 22nd St but hoping for something halfway decent? Anyone? help please Christmas is around the corner and this year since I have all the time in the world, I have plans to make Swiss cookies in honour of my husband (I just got married :wub: - reason for my move) I like to be able to run out and grab something like oh... Aniseed extract or that odd cookie cutter I don't have and a pile of dragees. Do I just have to deal with mail orders living here? Advice please. Anyone?

http://petitateliercuisine.blogspot.com/

My advice would be to grit your traveling teeth and drive into Denver. We just spent 6 months in Moab, UT. Now there's a wonderful place without any supplies to make anything. It was all by mail order. So 45 minutes doesn't seem too bad to me. :rolleyes:

I do have a friend in Moab, who has a son in Fort Collins, so I could ask her if she knows of any baking supply places. I suspect not, although I did see on TV a couple of days ago that Fort Collins is one of the five best places in the US in terms of finding a new life, a new job, etc.

Good luck! You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My friend replied that neither she nor her son, who cooks, know of any such store in Fort Collins.

Then she adds, tongue in cheek:

"Nothing as bad as a transplanted New Yorker. I know, I was one, and an obnoxious one at that!"

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Darienne. I know I shouldn't balk at a 45 mins drive. But I thought I'd try just in case someone knew of something out this way. Since I am on the topic, anyone else know of sources in Denver then?

Yes! I do feel blessed and lucky to have moved here. I suppose when you gain something, you lose another. It's all about the balance in the universe.

http://petitateliercuisine.blogspot.com/

• 9 months later...

Hi Alice

Sur la Table has a good selection, there is one in the Cherry Crrek Mall in Denver, Speer and University. There may be one in the Flatirons Mall up in Broomfied a lot closer to you. Professionally there is Cresco Restaurant Supply Just off 225 and Sixth avenue. Take 36 to I25 South, I70 east to I225 south to Sixth Ave, East on Sixth to the first stoplight. There's a Conoco Station on the corner. Go left and follow to the end of the street which ends at Cresco parking lot. For Spices look for Savory spice shop, I think they opened a Boulder store. You can google Savory Spice Shop and check out there web page.

Good Luck

Bill