• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duluth by way of Niagra Falls to Thunder Bay

suzilightning

The hubs and I are heading for a conference in Duluth from his childhood home in Poughkeepsie. We are planning on driving but rather than rt. 80 we are planning to hit Niagra Falls then using the 69 to Sudbury, picking up 17 to Thunder Bay then 61 down to Duluth.

Any places you can recommed? Anything we should miss? Are we crazy?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Actually, you picked a good year for that drive. Still no snow on the ground and unusually warm for the time of year. I did a 50 km bike ride sunday in cycling shorts and short sleeve jersey with a light jacket, I'm about 4 1/2 hours northwest of T'Bay. I can't really recommend anything in particular. I have a favorite breakfast place in T'Bay but there's nothing fancy or "must do" about it... I just like their pancakes. That's the Hoito. It's a Finnish-Canadian place and having to wait for a table is very common, especially at breakfast. I really only go to T'Bay when I want/need to hit the bike shop or kayak shop so I'm not an expert on the area.

Edit: I just realized this trip will be in April so you can ignore the part about the weather.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Actually, you picked a good year for that drive. Still no snow on the ground and unusually warm for the time of year. I did a 50 km bike ride sunday in cycling shorts and short sleeve jersey with a light jacket, I'm about 4 1/2 hours northwest of T'Bay. I can't really recommend anything in particular. I have a favorite breakfast place in T'Bay but there's nothing fancy or "must do" about it... I just like their pancakes. That's the Hoito. It's a Finnish-Canadian place and having to wait for a table is very common, especially at breakfast. I really only go to T'Bay when I want/need to hit the bike shop or kayak shop so I'm not an expert on the area.

Edit: I just realized this trip will be in April so you can ignore the part about the weather.

I love the Hoito!

suzilightning:

Grand Marais, Minnesota: I've eaten at the Angry Trout Cafe, but they are closed for the season. I've also eaten at the Blue Water Cafe, Sven & Ole's Pizza.

Lutsen: I knew the chef at Lutsen Resort.

Tofte: I had worked at Bluefin Bay Resort many years ago. I don't know about the dining. If you stay at the "Mom & Pop" motels, instead of the resorts, you might save some money.

Silver Bay: I don't know of any restaurants to recommend.

Two Harbors: I had worked at Kamloops Restaurant many years ago.

North Shore: I have met the chef at Nokomis. I worked briefly at the Scenic Cafe.

Duluth: Takk for Maten review.

Bridgeman's Restaurant is said to be good, and their ice cream is good too. So is Cold Stone Creamery. Five Guys is said to be good for burgers.

I would suggest exchanging your money at a bank, instead of a business, because they will give you a poor exchange rate.

Many Canadians shop at the Miller Hill Mall. There are some restaurants there too. I don't know of anyone who serves Poutine though. There is a Dollar Tree(type: 'duluth mn') in the Burning Tree Plaza near Best Buy. Thrift stores: Goodwill, Salvation Army. Some of the independent motels in Superior, Wisconsin, might be less expensive to stay at. There are two restaurant supply stores, Minnesota Food Service in Duluth, and Dunbar's in Superior. Have a good time in Duluth! :cool:

Buttercup: You mock my pain.

Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-- The Princess Bride

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -- Red Green

I'm afraid not on this trip, Kerry. We need to make it to Duluth from Poughkeepsie, NY in 3 days. We have done several wineries in the Niagra Penninsula and around Point Pelee on other trips.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

dear unknown -

thanks for those. We already hve Scenic Cafe and Nokomis on our list as well as Sven & Ole's. will check out Bridgman's and Takk for Matten.

We are going to be in town for a hawk conference so for 4 days we will be listening to papers being presented alternated with field trips.

suzilightning:

Grand Marais, Minnesota: I've eaten at the Angry Trout Cafe, but they are closed for the season. I've also eaten at the Blue Water Cafe, Sven & Ole's Pizza.

Lutsen: I knew the chef at Lutsen Resort.

Tofte: I had worked at Bluefin Bay Resort many years ago. I don't know about the dining. If you stay at the "Mom & Pop" motels, instead of the resorts, you might save some money.

Silver Bay: I don't know of any restaurants to recommend.

Two Harbors: I had worked at Kamloops Restaurant many years ago.

North Shore: I have met the chef at Nokomis. I worked briefly at the Scenic Cafe.

Duluth: Takk for Maten review.

Bridgeman's Restaurant is said to be good, and their ice cream is good too. So is Cold Stone Creamery. Five Guys is said to be good for burgers.

I would suggest exchanging your money at a bank, instead of a business, because they will give you a poor exchange rate.

Many Canadians shop at the Miller Hill Mall. There are some restaurants there too. I don't know of anyone who serves Poutine though. There is a Dollar Tree(type: 'duluth mn') in the Burning Tree Plaza near Best Buy. Thrift stores: Goodwill, Salvation Army. Some of the independent motels in Superior, Wisconsin, might be less expensive to stay at. There are two restaurant supply stores, Minnesota Food Service in Duluth, and Dunbar's in Superior. Have a good time in Duluth! :cool:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We are staying at the Raddison and they don't even have an in room refrigerator :shock: but they do have sleep by number beds - THANK GOODNESS!!!

Suzi: What will your accommodations be like? If y ou will have cooking facilities, or even a mini-fridge, I have recommendations.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites