• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Installing guitar wires

Chocolot

I broke my first guitar wire today. Husband tried to replace. 3 broken wires later, he quit. He threads it, wraps it around and gets it where he thinks it should be and it breaks again. Is there a simple way to do this? He isn't particularly mechanical, but it just can't be that hard. Help--anyone?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

My guess is that he's installing the wrong gauge wire, or overtightening during the install. For instance, the G & B strings may look practically identical, but if you try to tune the G to the pitch of the B it'll be very likely to break.

When tightening the new string, be careful to not tune it too high. ;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Wouldn't the wire that Dedy supplied with the guitar be the correct wire? I haven't tried it again as I don't have time right now. I'll get out my trusty knife for the one cut that is missing.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com