• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leaf Lard Emergency

sus

Hi kids. I am in the process of making some empanadas and we bought some Niman Leaf Lard which I was really excited to use but this lard looks nothing like the lard I generally buy in a bucket, or crisco or so. This lard is thick and has connective tissue. Sorry if i sound like an ignoramus but how DO I use this lard? Do I need to render it? What is the easiest way to do so? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Su

Also, I bought it at a local store in Denver called Marczyck which i LOVE. I know people here have mentioned before ordering from Dietrich's but I did not have time to do that though the Marczyck pound was more expensive than what I hear Dietric's is.