• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kent Wang

Sous vide turkey

Have you checked out the recommendations by Polyscience? My local Costco (and I might think nationally) has a great breast of turkey from Butterball that would work well for your sous vide. Also, Polyscience recommends duck fat and it may be available from certain Williams-Sonoma stores. Personally, I take off the skin and do it separately and not sous vide the skin.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Have you checked out the recommendations by Polyscience? My local Costco (and I might think nationally) has a great breast of turkey from Butterball that would work well for your sous vide. Also, Polyscience recommends duck fat and it may be available from certain Williams-Sonoma stores. Personally, I take off the skin and do it separately and not sous vide the skin.

Yes, I have duck fat and all that in the bag. I feel their temp for the breast (160) is too high though. I don't want to remove the skin, it crisps up fine for me in a very hot oven. My problem isn't how to sous vide the turkey, I've got that down, it's more the ideal way to keep it warm/reheat it and keep the skin somewhat crisp

Edited by therippa (log)

Opening this topic again. I would like to do the turkey leg confit but my turkey legs are too big for my SV setup. I see you're breaking them down and building a brick but that is too advanced for me and I don't have the ingredients anyway. So what would a middle-ground option be?

You can always cut the raw meat off the leg and put the chunks in a bag in your SV setup... Usually the turkey confit is pulled from the bone anway once it's done (like pulled pork) - so if it won't fit, you might as well debone it first.

Then should i leave the skin in one piece to SV (and help render some fat) and brown that at the end?

I think it depends on what you want to do with the skin... typically, if you were cooking the leg unboned, you would leave the skin on, and then remove it prior to pulling... The skin which has been cooked has become really gelatinous and tender, and will crisp very nicely between silpats/cookie sheets in a hot oven (450?)... So, if boning out the leg first, you can leave the skin in one piece and remove it if you'd like and cook it in the bag with the meat... then when you remove the skin from the bag, you can crisp one big piece if you'd like, or cut it into strips or whatever... just be careful when removing it from the bag as it will tear easily because it's so fragile.

Oh, and when I was thinking about turkey confit, I figured it would be cured like confit with the bone in... then prior to cooking, you'd wash off the salt, and bone it out to get it to fit in your SV...

I think it depends on what you want to do with the skin... typically, if you were cooking the leg unboned, you would leave the skin on, and then remove it prior to pulling... The skin which has been cooked has become really gelatinous and tender, and will crisp very nicely between silpats/cookie sheets in a hot oven (450?)... So, if boning out the leg first, you can leave the skin in one piece and remove it if you'd like and cook it in the bag with the meat... then when you remove the skin from the bag, you can crisp one big piece if you'd like, or cut it into strips or whatever... just be careful when removing it from the bag as it will tear easily because it's so fragile.

Oh, and when I was thinking about turkey confit, I figured it would be cured like confit with the bone in... then prior to cooking, you'd wash off the salt, and bone it out to get it to fit in your SV...

I can vouch for this technique, although I don't think you even have to cook the skin before you cook it in the oven like that. For my Christmas dinner I put raw pieces of turkey skin (from the breast), seasoned, between two oven dishes, with parchment paper, and cooked it at 190c for ~30 minutes. Turned out like crispy crackers. Delicious. I find that by cooking the bird with the skin on, once fried, the steam from the flesh tends to ruin the skin quite quickly. I would SV the breasts at 59c and do the legs to your liking. Either ~68c for "tender/juicy" or 80c for "confit-style". Both methods with duck fat of course. I like to debone the thighs and cut them into two. This yields very nice portions.

Edited by ahpadt (log)
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By MSRadell
      GE is entering the SV field in an innovative way. They are doing a crowdfunding approach through one of their Innovation technology centers. The device itself is also innovative in that it uses a Inductive cooktop for the heating element with a wireless temperature sensor. It's also unique in that it does not include any type of water circulation.

Here's a link to the crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop/

What does everybody think about this entry into the field? If nothing else it certainly shows that SV has gotten the attention of major appliance makers. A few weeks ago GE also announced that one of their new lines of stoves will have the same type of temperature control as this device uses so you can do SV on your stovetop.

• By Luke
      I made the Creme Anglaise recipe from Myhrvold Modernist Cuisine - it did look curdled and lumpy coming out of the zip lock bag as described in the recipe.

I used my stick blender to smooth it out as instructed, but I think I blended it for too long, and it went from lumpy to smooth to watery. Did I make a fatal mistake of over blending the custard?

The recipe does not say how to blend or when to stop.

Hoping one of the gurus can give me guidance before I try this again.

Many Thanks
      Luke
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.