• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best BBQ in the South?

jpropaganda

Hi,

I'm new to the eGullet forums, but I know you all are the ones I should check in with...I live in NYC and have the week of december 7th-11th off of work. With the weekend, that gives me a full 7 days to travel this great country of ours with a good friend of mine, and try as much bbq as possible.

So where should we go? I'm X-posting this in the heartland, because as of now the plan is NYC-->Carolinas-->Atlanta-->Tennessee and any stops in between. Although I just realized this might offend St Louis enthusiasts, I DO only have a week here...

We don't want to waste our time with tourist traps and overrated bbq joints. As of right now I have the following list of restaurants we're considering...where else should we go?! Where should we skip?

Melvin’s BBQ – Charleston SC

Mac’s Speed Shop – Charlotte NC

Sweet Leaf – Savannah GA

Big Ed’s – Raleigh NC

Swallow at the Hollow – Roanoke VA

Corky’s BBQ – Memphis TN

Rendezvous – Memphis TN

BBQ Shop – Memphis TN

BBQ-1 – Atlanta GA

Daddyz – Atlanta GA

Parker’s – Wilson NC

Interstate BBQ – Memphis TN

Martinsville, VA – Checkered Pig

Asheville, NC – Mountain Smokehouse

Goldsboro, NC – Scott’s Famous Barbeque

Lexington, NC – Lexington BBQ#1 (can’t go wrong anywhere in Lex)

Lexington, NC – Jimmy’s

Chapel Hill, NC – Allen & Sons (awesome pulled pork)

Raleigh, NC – The Pit

Ayden, NC – Skylight Inn

South Carolina – Maurices

Mutton BBQ – Owensboro KY

Smokin Ed’s – Smyma TN

BB’s BBQ – Franklin TN

Thanks!!

Sweatman's in Holly Hill SC (Only open Fri and Sat)

A little out of your way, but the original Dreamland Barbecue in Tuscaloosa

Moonlite is a good choice for Owensboro

Two TN muusts - Martin's in Nolensville and Ridgewood in Bluff City

Not a Corky's fan, myself. A&R and Jim Neeleys Interstate, along with Rendezvous.

You say you've only got a week? Pick one state and start to eat through it. For a first time, I'd opt for NC - with a dash of SC for mustard based sauce.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

One state is a good idea, but as long as we're in the south we want to really go through. I haven't done much travelling in the south before, so it'll be good to do a southern road trip with a bbq theme.

We're thinking of bringing a camera and updating at each place we go, posting to youtube every night! You have no idea how excited I am for this trip.

You won't see the South or experience the South doing eighty down the Interstate.

Pick a state and drive the back roads. Hit the county seats and one-light towns. Along the way you will come across some great barbecue only the locals know. Guaranteed.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It hurts my local pride to say it, but don't come to Charlotte for barbecue. Mac's is a fine place if you live here, but I wouldn't make it part of a time-limited trip.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I would replace Smokin' Ed's in Smyrna, TN (which has changed names, owners & quality) with Martin's in Nolensville, TN (get a Redneck Taco) and with The Slick Pig in Murfreesboro, TN (get the smoked chicken wings).

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

I wouldn't bother with Parker's in Wilson, but if you go to Short Sugar's in Reidsville NC and have a chopped pork with their amazing, singular sauce, you'll be glad you did. Keep in mind that lots of BBQ places (including Short Sugar's), especially the small town places are closed on Sundays.

There are diverse opinions of course. I live in Atlanta now and grew up in Memphis. I don't think Atlanta is worth your stop frankly. In Memphis, I would say the one must is Payne's. Cozy Corner might be #2. Skip Corky's. Rendezvous should be approached w the understanding that it's an institution known more for its uniqueness than the quality of its BBQ. A&R, BBQ Shop, Germantown Commissary, are all solid choices. Not a fan of Interstate, too much sauce.

Between Nashville and Memphis, I am a very big fan of B.E. Scott Bar B Que in Lexington, TN. They cook the whole hog way. Very good.

10880 Highway 412 West

Lexington, TN 38351-6282

(731) 968-0420

Everyone seems to be saying skip Atlanta, so I guess maybe we will, giving us more time to explore TN.

Is there anywhere that I'm REALLY missing? Some hidden spot, a gem that hasn't been tarnished by a visit from guy fieri or anyone else on the food network? And what about Alabama? They use some kind of white sauce right?

With the exception of Memphis, I'd skip all major cities.

A few miles into Arkansas from Memphis, way off the beaten path and a must-hit: Greg and Jim's Grocery and Barbecuein Colt AR. I'd drive at least a hundred miles out of my way just for their barbecued beans, but their pulled pork is right up there too.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

With the exception of Memphis, I'd skip all major cities.

A few miles into Arkansas from Memphis, way off the beaten path and a must-hit: Greg and Jim's Grocery and Barbecuein Colt AR. I'd drive at least a hundred miles out of my way just for their barbecued beans, but their pulled pork is right up there too.

I'm there! Checked the link, those beans look amazing. I'm gonna definitely have to get some with the pork! Looks close enough to be able to make it.

I'm thinking of cutting Atlanta out in its entirety, in order to make time for mississippi, alabama and arkansas, etc.

Keep these suggestions coming! I can't wait. And I'll be sure to share the link for my travels once it's live.

Is there anywhere that I'm REALLY missing? Some hidden spot, a gem that hasn't been tarnished by a visit from guy fieri or anyone else on the food network? And what about Alabama? They use some kind of white sauce right?

The white sauce is regional and is typically only found in Northern Alabama, with the sauce originating at or just being popularized by (depending on your accepted version of BBQ lore) Bob Gibson’s in Decatur. The sauce is mayonnaise-based and it really doesn’t go well on anything but chicken, though it is served on pork as well. You may want to try it to say you’ve tried it (which is exactly what I did), but I can virtually guarantee you, it will not be your favorite.

As for Dreamland in T-town, I feel they are grossly overrated. I think they get a lot of publicity for being the only other thing in Tuscaloosa other than the Univ. of Alabama and for that reason whenever there is an Alabama game on TV, there is the obligatory reference to Dreamland.

If you’re looking for regional specialties, might I second Holly Moore’s suggestion of Moonlite in Owensboro, KY. Unique for both their black sauce and their use of mutton. Plus they serve Burgoo which, for KY at least, is a BBQ must.

As for Dreamland in T-town, I feel they are grossly overrated. I think they get a lot of publicity for being the only other thing in Tuscaloosa other than the Univ. of Alabama and for that reason whenever there is an Alabama game on TV, there is the obligatory reference to Dreamland

Made my first trip to Dreamland - the original one, not the one just off the interstate - earlier this year. Thought the ribs were as good as I've had and the place proud of its tradition.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

As for Dreamland in T-town, I feel they are grossly overrated. I think they get a lot of publicity for being the only other thing in Tuscaloosa other than the Univ. of Alabama and for that reason whenever there is an Alabama game on TV, there is the obligatory reference to Dreamland

Made my first trip to Dreamland - the original one, not the one just off the interstate - earlier this year. Thought the ribs were as good as I've had and the place proud of its tradition.

1) It's BBQ. To each their own.

2) I lived in Bham for 5 years. Unless Florida was playing Alabama, I (personally) wouldn't even consider the short drive from Bham to Tuscaloosa to go to Dreamland. Hell, I even knew people who lived in Tuscaloosa who wouldn't go there.

However, as I said before, it's BBQ. Everyone has their own opinion.

Moonlite in Owensboro, KY. Unique for both their black sauce and their use of mutton. Plus they serve Burgoo which, for KY at least, is a BBQ must.

Definitely don't plan on getting stuck in major cities, but as long as I'm in the South I might as well see as much of it as possible, no?

Thanks for the Burgoo tip! It's that type of knowledge that has me convinced I'll be checking in with you guys while on the road wherever I can.

So...no bbq in major cities. Skipping Dreamland (although I think we may end up going to the original...seems like a requirement?) Bob Gibson's...

What gems am I missing that haven't been listed here yet? Once I have the route planned out, I'll make a map and share it, get your thoughts, etc.

Being new to the south we've been trying all the bbq places we can. Fortunately we have the best nearby. Prince Pit BBQ in Bardwell, Ky. Can find many other good ones along the way. Prince Pit was featured by Alton Brown too in his feasting on asphalt book and on the show.

The Rendezvous is good in Memphis though next time there we plan to hit Interstate BBQ.

Memphis Q and StLouis/Kansas City too, but Ky Q is hard to beat.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I've lived in Mississippi for the past 15 years, but I'm more aware of my local joints than any kind of renowned "must-go" place.

In Jackson there's Chimneyville Smokehouse. Seems to be pretty famous down there.

The Delta's known more for tamales and catfish than BBQ, but I'm certain you wouldn't be disappointed from a trip through Greenville or Clarksdale.

Here in Starkville, there's Little Dooey's, which is the favorite of ESPN when they come to town. My fave is Morris' (previously Sonny's), a little trailer on a county road that serves up some kickin' hot sauce (full of pepper seeds) and soul food too, if you're up for some chitterlings and pig's feet.

I can give more info if any of these sound good to you.

If you make it to eastern NC (and you should), you should add Bum's in Ayden, B's in Greenville and Wilbur's in Goldsboro. I don't think Scott's exists as a restaurant, unless it has re-opened recently. For quite a few years now, they have been in the sauce business, not the BBQ business.

Also, I think there are far better options for SC-mustard based BBQ than Maurice's. I like Henry's in Greenville and Sweatman's (previously mentioned). A number of SC places are only open 2-3 days a week, so research that carefully before making your plans.

We had some really nice chopped pork and ribs at the Smokey Pig in Virginia right off of I95. Nice staff and a real homey feel to the place. (I don't believe they've been talked about on any FN show : ) http://thesmokeypig.com/index.html

Let me just recommend Holly's site to map your itinerary. A great resource esp if you're sticking to I95 or the other highway to the west.

One thing I'd like to do (in time) is sample a good portion of the listings on the NC Historic Bbq trail map. I see you have Lexignton, Allen and Sons and Skylight amongst your list as they do. (I'm sure you've come across it but if you haven't, http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

That wasn't chicken

My fave is Morris' (previously Sonny's), a little trailer on a county road that serves up some kickin' hot sauce (full of pepper seeds) and soul food too, if you're up for some chitterlings and pig's feet.

Those definitely sound good. I have never had a pig's foot. Might just have to...little trailers on a country road seem like they would have the best BBQ. Can't wait to try.

Let me just recommend Holly's site to map your itinerary. A great resource esp if you're sticking to I95 or the other highway to the west.

Still figuring out the exact itinerary, but I've definitely consulted Holly's site. It's great! I have a feeling we'll spend a few days in the carolinas and then move westward.

Oh man I can't wait to go...keep the suggestions coming! Thanks for the SC suggestions, I had heard that Maurice's was a chain so I'm happy to have other options. I've never even HAD a mustard based bbq sauce.

My fave is Morris' (previously Sonny's), a little trailer on a county road that serves up some kickin' hot sauce (full of pepper seeds) and soul food too, if you're up for some chitterlings and pig's feet.

Those definitely sound good. I have never had a pig's foot. Might just have to...little trailers on a country road seem like they would have the best BBQ. Can't wait to try.

Starkville's about a hour and a half west of Tuscaloosa, on US-82. Take the Clayton Village/MS-182E exit, and go right. Maybe half a mile to a mile, take a left just after a small bridge (the road is 16th Section Road, I can't remember if there's a sign). It'll be on your left with a flashing sign.

We had some friends that called this place "the happiest place on Earth". Used to be run by a guy whose real name was Roosevelt Nickels. They changed the name when he died, but it's still the same family. I usually go for the pulled pork with the hot sauce. Don't get the beans though, they're just Campbell's. But why would you get beans when you can get chitterlings? :smile: It has some odd hours, your best bet is Thurs-Sat. I'd make sure you have cash or check, too.

Here's a Google map. They have the marker too far north; it's actually just north of MS-182.

Edited by joeljkp (log)