• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection commercial stoves

prairiegirl

My colleague is an engineer by profession but now is a full time pastry chef (pursuing his passion)! He has been using two regular kitchen ovens plus one commercial (and inefficient) oven. He has been at several restaurant supply shops looking for a commercial oven. He is looking at a convection oven (commercial grade) that will have several racks to put all his cressoints, and other pastry items on. What do you use in your shop? What oven would you recommend? All ideas and opinions are greatly appreciated. His budget is approximately $3500.

We have four (about 10-15 years old maybe?) Blodgett convections; two fan speeds. When I was looking to buy an oven (I didn't); I was looking into Doyon brand in Canada. One of the things to consider is whether he is renting his current space; what would happen if he moved; gas is cheaper than electric to run, but electric doesn't require an overhead hood system I'm told. Your (his) mileage may vary.

I would suggest that he call around to repair places and ask what NOT to buy; I did that years ago and the tech said his opinion was to stay away from Baker's Aid because he was always getting calls to fix that brand.