• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas 2009

Gary

With the idea that not everyone wants sweets, and being reminded that I got a big tub of cottage cheese, I am on a savory kick. I made a cottage cheese, butter, flour, and salt dough. Chilled in disks over night, sprinkled the rolled dough with a mix of grated Italian cheese and smoked paprika, and a bit of cayenne. Cut into little sticks, twisted, baked. A bit on the greasy side, but very tasty.

This is the first of many Holiday sweets to come. While the Pumpkin Roll is typically associated with Thanksgiving, I think it's a totally appropriate dessert to serve throughout the holiday season and it would be welcome at our Christmas dinner table.

I was pretty nervous about making a jelly roll type cake as this was my first attempt, and the directions didn't ease my anxiety. The recipe-from Libby's-called to start rolling the cake hot out of the oven. I was sure it would fall apart on me, but it worked just fine. Once you roll the cake "warm," you then let it cool, add the cream cheese filling/frosting, then roll again.

I'm thinking I'll use this basic technique for a "Buche de Noel," a perfect Christmas cake.

Pumpkin Roll-

gallery_41580_6808_49595.jpg

That looks yummy. Where one might find the recipe?

It's really an easy recipe. You can find it

here.

Just follow the instructions and be delicate with rolling the cake. You'll roll it twice, once when it is warm to "shape" it into the roll--then you'll roll it again after spreading in the filling. Just be careful and go slow so the cake doesn't break. And it's rich, a small slice is really all you need to be satisfied, although I had to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make it more rich!

Today's candy-making day was canceled on account of massive amounts of snow dumped in our area. But I was productive blanching and roasting 4 cups of hazelnuts...that ought to last a while...and starting to fool around with the 'melt chocolate chunks in steaming milk to make hot chocolate' gift idea. They look a little barren right now, needing some kind of decor or flags to tell the recipient how to use them, but they are on their way. And then packaging makes all the difference. Amazing.

Here are the chunks in two different sizes of molds.

chocolate chunks in molds.jpg

and here are the chunks decanted onto a plate (next post)

They look a little forlorn, but with banner type tags on them, they'll look better. I hope. Haven't even tried one yet.

Edited: manual dexterity is not my thing. That's why I have a partner with magic fingers. :wink:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

that's a great idea Darlene!

I was in the process of planning a holiday gift box for my friend that lives out of town and I thought I would make chocolate cheescake amaretto brownies as one of the things I will overnight her. The problem? I am worried the dairy in the cheesecake will not keep? Does anyone know a good way to package the brownies so they will keep?

I start my baking this weekend. I have made plans, I just have to go and buy 18 sticks of butter!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I've made the Mailenderli from one of his books (How to Bake?) and they were OK. I thought they were a little plain. Nothing stood out to make me want to make them again.

Never tried the Basler ones since I am not a fan of the chocolate/spice combination.

Hi Rickster, I agree with the Mailenderli that it has a "plain" one note taste in comparison to other "flavourful" cookies. Maybe better described as delicate which it is and very buttery. I am not sure if I like it or not :unsure: . I'll let my DH family decide if it should appear next Christmas. I am on the fence with the Baslers as I too am not particular to overly spiced cookies especially chocolate but my Swiss friend said that the flavours develop over a day or several days so I'll let this sit and report back, unless anyone wants to add their thoughts.

Nakji - I am wheat intolerant and there are several Swiss cookies that doesn't incorporate flour at all. In addition to the above I made today a Berner Hasselnuss Staengeli (Crispy Hazelnut bar cookie) which I really like and very simple to make and Utziger Leckerli (Chewy Almond Hazelnut Bar cookie) although it has 3 tbsp flour but easily subbed with Sweet Rice flour. DH likes the Leckerlis best. Also the Basler Brunslis have no flour at all. I feel for peeps with celiac :sad: I was devastated when I found out I can no longer eat bread! and pasta!!

Well I was on a baking binge today and mixed up Spitzbuebe, Suvaroff, Linzer doughs to be rolled out tomorrow and decided that my mom's Ginger buttons although not Swiss cannot be left out of the list...well I got tired and made a measuring mistake! so I had to mix a triple batch of it!! :wacko:

CKatCook - I am glad I am not hte only one with 10lbs of butter.

http://petitateliercuisine.blogspot.com/

I'm even more excited than usual this year. I made my christmas pudding (by accident mind you. Had one left over from Christmas 2007) 2 years ago and it's been hanging for that long. It smells unbelievable. Sprayed it with brandy every month or two since I made it. I'm hoping it's still okay. Got one spare just in case but I'm hoping I don't need it!

Two so far ready to photograph - Irish Cream Fudge:

gallery_62420_6809_13820.jpg

And for the first time, Torrone - I finally got my recipe to the point I wanted:

gallery_62420_6809_60816.jpg

Truffles and caramels yet to come!

Any chance of a recipe for that fudge? I've never heard of an Irish cream fudge before!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Love that nougat. Looks beautiful!!! :wub:

Thanks, Darienne! Though I say it myself, I think it tastes even better. Too bad we can't download flavors...

Any chance of a recipe for that fudge? I've never heard of an Irish cream fudge before!

I'm willing, but lazy - the recipe exists only as a note in my copy of Kendrick and Atkinson's Candymaking. If you happen to have a copy, use the Golden fudge recipe and swap heavy cream for the water and Irish Cream for the cream. It's well worth buying if you don't have a copy, especially if you are a beginning confectioner. Amazon has it here.

If I can scrape a few minutes I'll transcribe it here, along with my preferred post-cooking treatment. I like to play with my fudge like the tourist places do rather than just let it set overnight.

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

I'm willing, but lazy - the recipe exists only as a note in my copy of Kendrick and Atkinson's Candymaking. If you happen to have a copy, use the Golden fudge recipe and swap heavy cream for the water and Irish Cream for the cream. It's well worth buying if you don't have a copy, especially if you are a beginning confectioner. Amazon has it here.

I'll second that recommendation for the book. Wonderfully basic. All the 'stuff' you need to know to get started. Ruth is a splendid person.

As for your variant, I think I might try it with a Canadian wine cream liqueur, Panama Jack, which has a teensy bite to it and costs substantially less than the regular cream liqueurs because it's made from a wine base. (Canadians: look for it in the wine section) Also it occurs to me to add something...a touch of brandy?...to give it a bite. I'm not a fudge lover by nature. It's just that your fudge looks enticing...as well as your nougat.

My own Montelimar nougat day is postponed until next Wednesday...and hope for NO SNOW that day. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am sure I learned to bake....oh so long ago....with the little cookbooks that were put out by Fleischmann's yeast. I still have a battered old paper thing that I reference sometimes. But I found a new copy of Best Ever Breads from several years ago and I'm checking that out. I used their Master Sweet Dough (very basic recipe) to make two braided loaves and now I have a second batch baking. They call for a mixer which I don't have, so I stir and then knead by hand.

I used my homemade candied orange peel, and golden raisins in it and served it with butter mixed with finely diced orange peel and a bit of vanilla sugar. IMG_0721.JPG Seems I've covered several eGullet topics in one.

I'm enjoying seeing what people are making. The Hot Chocolate on a stick looks very interesting.

The Hot Chocolate on a stick looks very interesting.

The Hot Chocolate on a Stick is interesting. It tasted very good in my mug of steamed milk. Melted well, and stirred in well enough.

However, it presents a number of challenges which will have to be thought out...for next year.

The stick: what to use? Popsicle sticks, plastic spoons? Stir sticks swiped from Starbucks (don't report me please. Think of all the stir sticks I never used in the past. :wink: ) When the chocolate melts, a stick is not the optimum stirrer.

The instructions on how to use: hmmmm... and where to put them? One photo showed a sort of banner stuck at one end. Not only useful, but also decorative.

The mold: ice cube trays are the correct size: 1 oz. But you cannot smooth them off properly. The deep cheapo chocolate molds worked well. No problem getting a clean shape. However, you need 2 to a 8 oz cup of steamed milk...but then 2 sticks needed. I could have purchased something more useful...but have no time, etc.

Packaging: In a long cellophane bag? Several in a box? Oh heck. :raz:

Too many variables for this tired mind. Back I go to truffles, dipped ginger anddipped Montelimar nougat.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'll second that recommendation for the book. Wonderfully basic. All the 'stuff' you need to know to get started. Ruth is a splendid person.

As for your variant, I think I might try it with a Canadian wine cream liqueur, Panama Jack, which has a teensy bite to it and costs substantially less than the regular cream liqueurs because it's made from a wine base. (Canadians: look for it in the wine section) Also it occurs to me to add something...a touch of brandy?...to give it a bite. I'm not a fudge lover by nature. It's just that your fudge looks enticing...as well as your nougat.

My own Montelimar nougat day is postponed until next Wednesday...and hope for NO SNOW that day. :raz:

Thanks to both of you! South Florida is a bit hard on candymakers, seeing as how 80% humidity is pretty close to normal, down here! :sad: But still, I try!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The Hot Chocolate on a stick looks very interesting.

The Hot Chocolate on a Stick is interesting. It tasted very good in my mug of steamed milk. Melted well, and stirred in well enough.

However, it presents a number of challenges which will have to be thought out...for next year.

The stick: what to use? Popsicle sticks, plastic spoons? Stir sticks swiped from Starbucks (don't report me please. Think of all the stir sticks I never used in the past. :wink: ) When the chocolate melts, a stick is not the optimum stirrer.

The instructions on how to use: hmmmm... and where to put them? One photo showed a sort of banner stuck at one end. Not only useful, but also decorative.

The mold: ice cube trays are the correct size: 1 oz. But you cannot smooth them off properly. The deep cheapo chocolate molds worked well. No problem getting a clean shape. However, you need 2 to a 8 oz cup of steamed milk...but then 2 sticks needed. I could have purchased something more useful...but have no time, etc.

Packaging: In a long cellophane bag? Several in a box? Oh heck. :raz:

Too many variables for this tired mind. Back I go to truffles, dipped ginger anddipped Montelimar nougat.

Darienne, what's your recipe for the chocolate on a stick? I may want to try that....

Thanks.

Lots of neat ideas.

I am dipping fat pretzels, making spritz cookies and candying citrus peel. I am also giving out homemade vanilla. Not a lot of things but good enough for the girls I go with...

Ellen

psantucc – your torrone is just perfect – what recipe are you using? I love it and haven’t ever made it – as a matter of fact I just bought some today at the specialty candy store we went to today.

I’m getting a VERY late start this year, but here’s what I’ve done so far (sweet and savory):

Sausage rolls and mini quiches for Christmas morning:

P1030393.JPG

P1030351.JPG

Croutons for salad:

P1030350.JPG

These were the best croutons I’ve ever made. I used a mixture of butter and olive oil instead of just oil and added garlic and grated Locatelli cheese.

Pecan Pretzel Turtles:

P1030357.JPG

P1030358.JPG

White Chocolate Gumdrop Fudge:

P1030359.JPG

Isn’t it pretty? Doesn’t it look luscious? Blah! It was awful – tooth-achingly sweet! I’m hoping that the children will like it, because we sure didn’t!

White Chocolate Toasted Almond Fudge:

P1030364.JPG

This was not much better, but it has possibilities. I adore Good Humor Toasted Almond Bars and was hoping for a similar flavor, but it wasn’t almond-y enough or toasty enough. But I might work with it – chop the almonds up really fine and deeply toast them.

Dark Chocolate Fudge w/ Almonds and Dried Cherries:

P1030382.JPG

Much better! This is Mr. Kim’s favorite fudge and when I took a bit to work for a holiday lunch, I had to print out 4 copies of the recipe!

Now that the house and tree are decorated, I’ll be doing some more cooking tomorrow!

I've just made a batch of shortbread to bring into work. I used a recipe that looked intriguing from Jamie Oliver. When I tasted the dough, I thought it needed something, so I added a lemon's worth of zest as per his recipe note. It still was tasting a bit flat, so I took a page out of Prince of Pastry's book and added a dusting of Hakata sea salt to the top.......nice. I doubt strongly this will make it into my office tomorrow.

My fingers ache from all the stiring and rolling :laugh: I am several days down in my 12 cookies of Christmas and I got a head start by making doughs to freeze. I made some peppermint bark, peanut butter chocolate shortbread, chocolate chip, brownie pops, snickerdoodle, peanut brittle, white chocolate oatmeal cranberry cookies. This week I have egg nogg cupcakes, and gingerbread to make. Then one more week to go!

.....everything looks so beautiful that everyone has made!

I have one of those books! The recipes are simply "oldies but goodies".

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

My shortbread did manage to make it into the office today, where it was so well-received there's not a crumb left. Many thanks to Mr. Oliver - it was the best shortbread I've ever made; not the least bit dry, nor was it too floppy with butter. The lemon and salt pushed it over the edge into divine territory. Gilding the lily would have been to dip it into some Valrhona dark - maybe next time.

2009 12 13 004.JPG

My next bring-the-spirit-of-the-season project will be to make some world peace cookies.

Yesterday I dipped 8,000 pieces of ginger. Well, maybe I exaggerate a tad, but if I never dip another piece of ginger...

Still to make is the Enstrom copycat chocolate-coated toffee with partner, Barbara, on Candy Day which got snowed out last week.

(I didn't think anyone would want to see a photo of 8,000 pieces of chocolate dipped ginger. Now to package it all up. )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I was in the process of planning a holiday gift box for my friend that lives out of town and I thought I would make chocolate cheescake amaretto brownies as one of the things I will overnight her. The problem? I am worried the dairy in the cheesecake will not keep? Does anyone know a good way to package the brownies so they will keep?

Ckatcook, chocolate cheesecake amaretto brownies sound like they would make an awesome holiday gift. If you’re worried about shipping them to your friend, usually leaving baked goods in a disposable aluminum pan or a brand new tin and sealing it with plastic wrap will help them ship better. There are actually some other neat shipping tips for wrapping and packaging your baked goods on our holiday site, www.dominosugar.com/giftideas/Shipping-Tips.html. Good luck with your holiday baking!

Wow! There's been lots of activity. I took a little break this weekend to catch some fresh powder in the mountains :biggrin:

Psantucc - your Torrone looks beautiful! and your Irish Cream Fudge looks delectable. Reminded me of ordering Irish coffees after a day of skiing. I am a dunce at candy making. Dunno why :blink:

Darienne - Your hot chocolate on a stick is such a fantastic idea. I might have to make that next year for my DH's niece going to college. Do you just dissolve it in hot milk? Would you mind sending the recipe?

Anyways - today I made Appenzeller Biberli - apparently literally translated as filled beaver's from Appenzeller. The last sheet is baking now and it smells pretty good. I'll be mixing up Pecan Rum butter balls next.

BTW I've posted 2 recipes here if anyone want's to try them.

http://petitateliercuisine.blogspot.com/