• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

my brother is getting engaged in NYC. help.

stetson99

Hey gang,

I need your help.

My kid brother is heading to new york city next month to propose.

They will be there for one dinner and two lunches. He will propose at dinner.

The kid could wants a view this evening. The food and interior design do not matter as long as the view of the city is great. Still, he obviously does not want the food to be terrible, of course. He is leaning towards either the river cafe or asiate. I am aware that neither serves distinguished food, but the kid wants a view. Are there any other places I should present to him?

I set my brother up at jean georges for lunch on the day he will propose. I have spoken highly of this place, and he is looking forward to it. I want to know if there is anything I can do behind the scenes to make this lunch extra special for them? Can I buy them a bottle of champagne in advance and make it appear to be 'on the house?'. Same thing with dessert or extra courses? What is the procedure for this?

Thank you all for the help!

I haven't been to River Cafe in years and can't comment personally on the food these days (it is not on my radar at all), but if he's looking for a view he'll get it.

Per Se overlooks Central Park and is in the same building as Asiate (on a lower floor). It would be an unforgettable meal as well.

It's not a Central Park or skyline view, but Eleven Madison has soaring windows overlooking Madison Park and the room is absolutely glorious, as is the food - the restaurant was just awarded a fourth star by the NY Times. Not exactly what you're asking for but something to consider.

I've called ahead to places like Gramercy Tavern to order champagne for people. I would just call Jean Georges and ask. I would expect they'll make it very easy for you.

I haven't been to River Cafe in years and can't comment personally on the food these days (it is not on my radar at all), but if he's looking for a view he'll get it.

Per Se overlooks Central Park and is in the same building as Asiate (on a lower floor). It would be an unforgettable meal as well.

It's not a Central Park or skyline view, but Eleven Madison has soaring windows overlooking Madison Park and the room is absolutely glorious, as is the food - the restaurant was just awarded a fourth star by the NY Times. Not exactly what you're asking for but something to consider.

I've called ahead to places like Gramercy Tavern to order champagne for people. I would just call Jean Georges and ask. I would expect they'll make it very easy for you.

Daisy:

Thank you so much for your reply and your thoughts.

My brother and I went to 11 Madison Park around a year ago. We both loved the food and the environment. This is not what he is after though. He wants a view.

I am certainly aware of per se. I gave this place my highest recommendation until I told him the cost. He certainly isn't poor, but the cost of the place almost knocked him out. He does not understand the context of per se vis a vis the french laundry, and cannot wrap his head around why The Best costs twice as much as The Second Best.

I appreciate your thoughts on trying to make lunch at jean georges extra special. Is there anything else I can offer the two over the phone besides champagne?

Edited by stetson99 (log)

He should definitely get what he wants, since he's the one proposing (and I assume he's not proposing to me, so my vote doesn't count). I just looked at the River Cafe menu - I would never personally spend $100/person for a prix fixe menu at a restaurant where I couldn't name the chef and neither does the website, but that's neither here nor there. The view of the entire Manhattan skyline from River Cafe is without a doubt spectacular. If he wants a view, that is probably it.

A Voce just opened in Time Warner as well but I don't know if the view is really visible from the dining room. The old setup in that space obscured the view. Terrace in the Sky up in Morningside Heights has a good view of the city from the north, but I have no idea how the food is.

I would ask J-G for ideas when you call - I suspect that once you tell them what the plan is they will take very good care of them. Lunch there is not a prix fixe, it's a la carte by the small(ish) plate, so I dont know how you'd add extra courses very easily. Perhaps they can do something special for dessert. They are pros, I really would just ask what the options are. When I did this at Gramercy it sounded as though this is a very regular occurrence.

I would actually go with Daniel over Jean Georges and think they would be willing to do something a bit extra for him. I cant bring myself to go to Jean Georges any more knowing for just a couple more bucks I could walk across the road and go to Per Se.

If they were having lunch at JG after the proposal, I think the idea of surprising them with something special would be great. But since it's happening before the proposal, the extra-special treatment might tip the fiancee-to-be off that something even more special might happen later on. Could you add something to their dinner instead? Or perhaps have some champagne or similar sent to their hotel room for after the proposal?

I would ask J-G for ideas when you call - I suspect that once you tell them what the plan is they will take very good care of them. Lunch there is not a prix fixe, it's a la carte by the small(ish) plate, so I dont know how you'd add extra courses very easily. Perhaps they can do something special for dessert. They are pros, I really would just ask what the options are. When I did this at Gramercy it sounded as though this is a very regular occurrence.

I could have sworn that lunch (Monday-Saturday) in the formal dining room is always prix fixe. I would call to clarify.

Last time I was there, I remember being torn between the caramel dessert set and the chocolate dessert set, and they brought us the molten chocolate cake from the chocolate dessert set. Perhaps something like that, or some roses and chocolates (from Bespoke or Kee's) waiting for them upon their return to the hotel?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I could have sworn that lunch (Monday-Saturday) in the formal dining room is always prix fixe. I would call to clarify.

Last time I was there, I remember being torn between the caramel dessert set and the chocolate dessert set, and they brought us the molten chocolate cake from the chocolate dessert set. Perhaps something like that, or some roses and chocolates (from Bespoke or Kee's) waiting for them upon their return to the hotel?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's kind of an unusual prix fixe with room for a lot of variety - $29 for any 2 plates and then you pay like $15 for each additional course. Nothing is identified as an appetizer or entree - the whole menu is made up of smallish plates and you can pick whatever you want from it based on that formula (plus whatever supplements may apply). Since it's so flexible, everyone at the table doesn't have to order the same # of courses. Dessert is an extra dish, not part of the PF.

The chef has always been prominently listed on the River Cafe's website and other promo material so I was skeptical of daisy17's comment upthread. But I checked the website and, boy are they downplaying the current chef. By the way, it's still Brad Steelman (I just called them to confirm). He's listed last on the "History" page on their website so I guess that's their way of saying he's the chef. Understated, to say the least.

At any rate, the view is still the best of anyplace anywhere ever. It's a picture postcard of the skyline from a barge next to the Bklyn Bridge with music playing (live pianist) and massive flower arrangements everywhere. It's a story book setting for a proposal. The food, as I've said in many posts, is not NYC top 50 but is fine. It's not catering food, it's a solid restaurant with a great wine list. And overpriced for the food but not for the whole experience. I actually recommend getting the $125 full chef's tasting menu over the $98 prix fixe... I've found it a better choice over the past several years.

My wife and I dropped about 2/3 what we did at EMP the last time we went and EMP's food is much better than this ratio. But, for a special event, the River Cafe is magical.

Hint: tell them about the special event nature of the dinner and ask not to be seated on a wall table if you have to sit across from each other. Otherwise, one of you gets to look at a wall (when not gazing into each others' eyes of course). Even though the wall is smartly mirrored, it's not the same. I find the best tables to be at the wall across from the skyline IF one can sit next to the other. That way, you see the room as well as the view. Window tables are next best and then middle tables. Since your brother is there for the view, the right table is even more important. Oh yeah... go early and have a drink at the bar. It faces the skyline as well and is in the room, next to a small deck that is usable.. nice to go out and hear the water, etc.

My brother and his future wife are both very special to me...

So she said yes?? :smile: Where'd they eventually end up? Was it all that they/you had hoped it to be? You can't pick our brains and then not share the details. Spill! We want the whole story...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...

There is no doubt in my mind that she will say yes, but we will all have to wait until the end of this weekend to find out for sure.

I will give you kids an update after it happens. Hopefully there will be some pictures. I definitely appreciate all of your thoughts, and I promise that I will not leave you without providing the details of their trip.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

--William

• 2 weeks later...