• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 1)

Renn

I just got an email saying my order has shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Friday March 4. I have a chamber vacuum sealer. And an immersion circulator. Can't wait.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I just got an email saying my order has shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Friday March 4. I have a chamber vacuum sealer. And an immersion circulator. Can't wait.

Kim, When did you order yours?

August 8

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Ouch, I ordered in JUNE and am now being told that the book won't ship till April 18. Here's hoping that's a mistake. I have a whole gathering planned to taste some recipes from the book later in March!

That is strange. I ordered in July and I get the shipping soon message from Amazon - the actual date they give me is March 11th

I also ordered in July, and my copy is supposed to be here tomorrow. UPS tracking shows it is on the move. I am actually very surprised: on March 1 I changed the shipping speed on my order, and was given an April 18 delivery date. Since my pre-change delivery estimate was March 9, I got in touch with Amazon customer service, and was told that they hadn't yet received the book from the publisher, and mid-April would be the soonest anyone would get the book. Guess they were wrong, not that I'm complaining!

Ouch, I ordered in JUNE and am now being told that the book won't ship till April 18. Here's hoping that's a mistake. I have a whole gathering planned to taste some recipes from the book later in March!

Hooray! False alarm from Amazon, the book is on its way...

My guess is that the change from pre-order to shipping affects the ETA provided. In my case, I had to change payment methods, so maybe a change to the order means the system reflects a move to the back of the line that doesn't actually take place. I'm just relieved to have the book on the way, and excited to receive this delivery!

Edited by RDaneel (log)

August 8

Was that with Amazon.com or Amazon.ca? I ordered on August 13th and haven't heard anything yet. I'll be sad if I just missed the cutoff and have to wait for the next batch.

If you look at Amazon.com, it says that inventory for this title is limited and orders will be filled in the order they were received. It doesn't say anything like that at Amazon.ca. I wonder if all the books stayed in the USA. That would explain my delivery date of April 18-May 4th.

I ordered mine in February and my estimated delivery date is still March 8th (Amazon Prime next-day)...I wonder if I'm so far back in the queue they haven't even gotten around to giving me that bad news yet?

August 8

Was that with Amazon.com or Amazon.ca? I ordered on August 13th and haven't heard anything yet. I'll be sad if I just missed the cutoff and have to wait for the next batch.

Amazon.com

One more day to wait.

Hope you don't have to wait much longer.

The package arrived, yesterday! The production quality is remarkable. Beautifully made books and case, plus the spiral bound kitchen manual is a great improvement over other recipe collections, given that it opens flat, has waterproof pages and has what appear to be very well thought out condensed recipes, with reference back to the main volumes. I've only had a chance to read the section on combi ovens. If the rest is up to that standard, the book is a bargain at full price! If you own a combi oven, it's likely you'll understand it in a much deeper and more correct way after using this book. I have Rational ovens and think they're great, but I'm sure I'll be able to do more things and do them better, now that I have a better idea what's going on. I'd be stunned if the rest of the set were not full of similar revelations.

I ordered mine in February and my estimated delivery date is still March 8th (Amazon Prime next-day)...I wonder if I'm so far back in the queue they haven't even gotten around to giving me that bad news yet?

I ordered mine in Feb as well, and had a ship date of March 8th, also Amazon Prime. Decided to spring for the $3.99 Overnight a few days ago, and upon doing that, the ship date changed to April 15. Called them to see if there was anything I could do about it, and they basically told me it was never going to ship on the 8th to begin with, and gave me the impression that they had no idea when it was really going to ship.

My copy just arrived. The packaging is insane, and "big" just doesn't do the set justice....

The other side of the box is labeled "HEAVY". No kidding! I was impressed by how securely it was packed. Double-boxing it was a great idea - less risk of dinged corners.

I'm glad that mine arrived on a Friday. I'll have all weekend to play with it.

fun pictures! Wow, those are some big books, I'll have to clear out some not used books to make room for these. And then I'll put electric fence and barbed wire around them, so nobody but me touches them. With white gloves. In the clean room I'm gonna install in the entry. :laugh:

And then I have to find the time to look at them and who knows, maybe even cook with them! I don't even know where to start, probably somewhere where there's beef mentioned.

The packaging looks amazing! And Amazon better make sure it gets carried here very carefully, I never accept books with damage, let alone an expensive collection like this. But it appears to be so well packaged that you could probably roll it down a hill.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I ordered mine in Feb as well, and had a ship date of March 8th, also Amazon Prime. Decided to spring for the $3.99 Overnight a few days ago, and upon doing that, the ship date changed to April 15. Called them to see if there was anything I could do about it, and they basically told me it was never going to ship on the 8th to begin with, and gave me the impression that they had no idea when it was really going to ship.

Abadoozy I did the same thing with my shipping, and had the exact same experience with customer service. They told me that April 18 would be the soonest anyone would get the set. However, my copy arrived about 15 minutes ago so you may still get it soon.