• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 1)

Renn

I would not worry about the exact date Amazon promises you. That is some estimate, and frankly I am not sure what it is based on. I don't think they have enough data to get an accurate date.

The first Amazon customers ought to be getting their books delivered in the coming week. I don't know how many or who.

I would expect that everybody who has ordered as of now will have their books in March. But please don't take that as a guarantee because this is out of my control. A lot depends on how quickly the boat gets unloaded, how long it takes the trucks to go from Seattle to the Amazon serivce center, and how long UPS or other shippers take to go from Amazon to the customer.

Nathan

What date was your order on Amazon.ca?

I preordered October 29, 2010 at amazon.ca and my previous estimated ship date was March 7. As Nathan said, they don't really seem to know much at Amazon customer service.

In my prior experience with Amazon pre-orders, it usually says to say your pre-ship date until the last minute, when they can no longer fulfill it. I don't think the system knows much at all; I suspect someone just punches in a ship date and it sticks until someone takes action to change it. I suspect the automated system assumes the publisher has infinite supply.

I just got this email literally 1 minute ago:

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on December 20 2010 (Order# 702-1172253-9149845).

Nathan Myhrvold, et al "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking"

Estimated ship date: April 08 2011

That's a 1 month delay to the original estimated shipping date... how sad :(

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on December 20 2010 (Order# 702-1172253-9149845).

just got the same email :(

Living in Providence, I've had the fortune of getting to know a host of talented, affable chefs who have transformed dining in our state. One of those chefs is Matt Jennings, known hereabout as stinkycheeseman. An award-winning cheesemonger at La Laiterie, he's now become an award-winning chef at Farmstead, the restaurant he owns and operates with wife Kate and a great team. (Click here for a photo essay I did as Farmstead was getting off the ground; click here for a pdf of his James Beard 2011 Best Chef Northeast nomination.)

When I went to Farmstead last week to congratulate him for the Beard nomination, I mentioned MC, and he got all excited. Turns out he ordered it months ago, and as we talked, I could see a scheme cooking in his mad brain. The call this morning revealed all.

Every year, he and a few other terrific RI chef buds make an annual road trip to Montreal; this year, the trip features the once-a-year McAuslan brunch at Au Pied de Cochon. (I envy them deeply, as you can see from this raving post.) Turns out they wanted to add a seventh to their gang of six. Nope, not me:

IMG_20110226_110632.jpg

That's his reaction as we met for the drop at a local Whole Foods. I've been assured that we'll get updates on their reactions, and, as Martin Picard will be in the house, perhaps we'll get one from the crazed Montreal chef himself.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Response from Amazon.ca's customer support:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.ca.

We are sorry for the delay in completing your order.

Sometimes unexpected fluctuations in supply can add time to our original availability estimate. We have learned that "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking" is now back-ordered, and our supplier is not able to tell us exactly when they expect to have more in stock. I apologize that you were not notified sooner of this change.

Further, I can assure you that we are working hard to obtain this item for you and we will ship it as soon as we are able to obtain it. This means that we will ship the item as soon as we receive it from our suppliers.

Edited by pedro (log)

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Chris, thanks for the 'loan'. We six are eager to ogle and flip the pages.

Chefmobile leaves at 3am. Au Pied brunch at 10am. Wish us (and our livers) luck.

There's no doubt the Egullet society will be well represented on this trip.

Here's to poutine & gravy baths for all.

Updates soon, or follow our # HASHTAG on Twitter: #chefsincanada for a live stream of our conquests and poor decision making.

@matthewjennings

@newriversbeau

@chezpascal

@nicksonbroadway

@josephvhafner

And no doubt, Jake will have a twitter account for Tallulah by the time we sit down for roasted pigs heads.

Best to all,

M

Matt Jennings

Owner, Chef, Cheesemonger

Farmstead / La Laiterie at Farmstead

Hello from Amazon.ca.

just got the same email :(

Me too...

When will the torment end! Patience is not my strong suit...

I am going out of my mind waiting for my copy!

I am begging someone to email me the macaroni and cheese recipe. Please. I have all these chemicals rotting in my freezer. I should not have bought them before I had the book in hand. I guess it is a lesson I needed to learn. I just want to make something from this book! *sniff*

I'm literally pulling my hair out trying to decide if I can drop $500 on the book without risking divorce court.

Ask her if she would give you this book as your birthday, Father's Day and Christmas present this year. Have her wrap up two volumes each holiday (even though you've already looked at them :wink: ). Then she doesn't have to shop for you anymore this year.

Haha...That's exactly how I got her permission to order mine. :biggrin:

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My order status on Amazon just went to "Shipping Soon" a few minutes ago.

"This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed."

YAY!!!

BTW, I ordered it on May 25th.

Edited by hapacooking (log)

My order status on Amazon just went to "Shipping Soon" a few minutes ago.

"This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed."

Woot, mine too.

Up until the status change, it had said shipping on Mar 7.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Ouch, I ordered in JUNE and am now being told that the book won't ship till April 18. Here's hoping that's a mistake. I have a whole gathering planned to taste some recipes from the book later in March!