• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 1)

Renn

Damn thing needs a stroller, though....

It needs an app.

Or a rolling book bag.

I got one similar to these at Walmart for 15.00.

I often have to haul several books at a time, some fairly large, and my tote bags simply wore out too rapidly. (Book corners cause excessive wear even with canvas.)

My only difficulty is lifting it in and out of my van but I can often find someone to help.

It is even fairly easy to drag it up steps.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Indeed, McGee has many pages on rice, though he does not say anything about why cooking it would not work perfectly every time. He points out a number of ways of cooking it, but doesn't mention pot size as an important parameter.

While I mostly cook just rice in a rice cooker, I have cooked it successfully in everything from deep pots to wide, very shallow paella pans, as long as the liquid to rice ratio is correct.

The size and shape of the pan is not all that important.

An open pan will require a bit more liquid because of evaporation but it isn't difficult to add more water or ?? if you try the rice and find it a bit too al dente.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For some reason, Modernist Cuisine has vanished from the Amazon UK site.

Now I'm worried. Months ago, I put an order win Amazon Canada and I hope they don't do the same. I cancelled today the open order I had with Amazon US --also months old-- since I assumed it won't go cheaper than CA, but it was significantly cheaper than the current price.

Anyone who ordered to Amazon UK has got in touch with them? Any explanation?

Edited by pedro (log)

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Another question I'd be interested in (given Nathan's background) is how comprehensive of a BBQ reference is it?

What with a pile of recipes, parametric charts on smoking, detailed explanations of wet-bulb temperature effects, brining, smoke ring discussions.... I'm not barbecue expert, but it certainly seems exhaustive to me.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I am awaiting the book too.

But before I get it any details on what constitues the "bulletproof" beurre blanc? Is it new technique or additives?

And how do you judge the quality of an homogonizer, when I come to buy one, by shear or by the micron of particle is produces?

Yes am excited

Interesting do a search on www.amazon.co.uk for "Modernist Cuisine" and the book is not returned, it offers a related search of "nathan myhrvold" but the book is not listed there.

If I go into my account I can still see "Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking" as ordered but clicking on the link I get

"Looking for something?

We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site."

What's going on have all UK orders been taken, but even so why are amazon not even listing the book.

As an aside, what is the print run of the book, are there plans to do another if it sells out ?

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

The book is supposed to be Amazon.co.uk I will check as to why it is not.

On Amazon.com in the US it has hit #218 on the sales list, which is amazing.

We are working on ordering a second printing, and will print as many as we need after that.

Nathan

We are working on ordering a second printing, and will print as many as we need after that.

Tonight it's up to #188 on the sales list of all books at Amazon.com. Yay!

Success! Time to hire laskonis and begin work on the pastry version! ;)

Success! Time to hire laskonis and begin work on the pastry version! ;)

After you have recruited Michael Laskonis, you might consider Paco Torreblanca - and while you're at it Albert Adria is going to be looking for somewhere to cook soon :-)

Cheers,

Peter.

I have been following this book's sales on Amazon.com in the US. This morning the book broke into the top 100 on the sales list at number 99. That is just amazing. It warms my heart that there are that many people buying this kind of a book. I am so excited about the direction this book is going to take both cooking and food literature in America. In the cookbook category (cooking, food and wine) it's number 7!

The hits just keep coming. Atlantic Monthly's online website summarizes everything so far here, including the Waters quotation.

Meanwhile, I urge those in the US who have the book on order to run down to your nearest Whole Foods and get a pair of their reusable "Better Bags." When the book arrives, you can ponder the irony that the entire six-volume set, plus case, fits inside the doubled bags like a glove.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm honestly surprised at the rank on Amazon. Not because I don't think the interest is there, but because I didn't think the interest and disposable income would necessarily overlap in enough of the population for this kind of result. I'm really finding myself wondering about the size of the first print run...

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

There's an event scheduled on the book's Facebook page for Feb. 22 in Seattle:

Join Modernist Cuisine authors Nathan, Chris and Max at Seattle’s Palace Ballroom Tuesday, February 22nd, 6-8 pm for light appetizers, a glass of wine and some thought-provoking conversation! This $50, space-limited event will be the first opportunity for the public to see the book and meet the authors. Click here http://bit.ly/frpHOE to purchase tickets while they last!

I checked my Amazon order and it's still scheduled to ship on march 8. I was hoping that the date was getting bumped up.

I'm finally sold on this book. Luckily I've collected enough amazon gift cards from family members for birthdays and xmas over the last two or three years that this is actually only costing me $67. The timing of the release is perfect too, the lady will be out of town for two weeks right after I get it so I'll have all the free time I want to experiment.