• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 1)

Renn

We are not doing a traditional book tour, however we will be doing talking to the press, and probably having some events on the east coast in late march. I suspect that I will do events in Seattle, and a few other cities as well. This is all being planned at the moment so I don't have anything to announce.

Nathan

What is the print run of this book?

How many people will be buying this for an investment ?

Some books such as "Nose to Tail Eating" and also "The cracking is superb" went to silly prices, but fell through the floor when second edition was released. Books like the "El Bulli" cook books I can't see they would be reprinted, since they stopped doing English versions, the value of these seems to be increasing rapidly - but would I part with the books (Well just for cash no, unless it goes to silly numbers).

Unfortunately, I'm not good on investment, I got a stain on "The Big Fat Duck" but I am enjoying and using the book which is way more important. And the fact book 6 could be up for visits to the kitchen sounds brilliant.

V Looking forward to this and it's a present from my Mum :-)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

If you dig through the Modernist Cuisine website, there's a surprising amount of information there, including some material that by its nature can't be in the book. For example in the blog section of the site there's a photograph of what the set of books actually looks like. Also, several videos including this one of popcorn popping:

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Does the book mention anything about "planking"? It's a technique I have just heard of, I believe it involves using a piece of aged/infused wood as a cooking surface inside a steam oven...

Also, if this book took 3 years to complete, and if there is a pastry version in the pipeline, I wonder how long we would have to wait for that...

Planking is usually done by putting food on a wood plank which is then hit with enough heat (from broiler or otherwise) to cause the wood to burn or smolder, putting a light smoke flavor on the food. Cedar is often used as the wood - see this site or here.

Besides being a cooking technique a large part of the appeal is the dramatic presentation of food at the table on a smoking charred plank of wood.

We don't cover it in detail, but do have one recipe done this way, a cheese course from Seattle chef Scott Carsberg.

Plank cooking wouldn't work in a steam oven - it's about smoke flavor.

Nathan

Ah, but with six volumes and 2,438 pages, I am certain it can be done...but write neatly and small!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks