• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" by Myhrvold, Young & Bilet (Part 1)

Renn

(to avoid the vulgar RTFM)

That acronym (an Internet classic for historical reasons of little interest today) appears in the definitive summary RFC1855 as nominally "read the fine manual." Should any reader elect to render it more vulgarly, of course, that's their choice and responsibility.

I'd rather have the book that Nathan wants to send out, in the condition that he'd want for himself...And all that aside, most of us on here have been waiting for the book for at least a few years now...what's a few more months?

To Nathanm,

I am very much looking forward to have a copy of your book.

While not being a professional chef, I have alway believed in the importance of science in cooking. I have alway enjoyed fooling around with new ways of doing things.

Here is what came out from my playing with the physics of making bacon:

bacontricks2.jpg

bacontricks.jpg

Here is another one I just did with scallops. You will notice that I have some black stuff on top. I have succeeded in making my own black garlic with a machine I made.

baconscallops2.jpg

Baconscallops.jpg

I would love to have an opportunity to visit you and talk to you in person.

dcarch

Nice article in the NY Times this morning:

In 2004, Dr. Myhrvold started a thread on the culinary Web site eGullet.org asking for advice on sous vide, a method of cooking at steady low temperatures in sealed vacuum bags. “There was no book in English on the subject, and over time the thread became one of the main resources in the world on sous vide,” he said. “People started bugging me to write a book.”

In order to write about sous vide, Dr. Myhrvold felt he needed to write about food safety and the physics of food, heat and water. “One thing led to another, and it took me to this,” he said. “There are dozens of books that give you a sense of classic cuisine, but none of those cover all aspects of modern cooking or the science of cooking with step-by-step photos, the way we do.”

Dr. Myhrvold’s team sawed apart pots, pans and other gear to show, for instance, how an ultrasonic bath can make crispier French fries. “We realized there was an opportunity to produce an encyclopedic book that covers the vast body of work chefs have created over the last 10 or 20 years,” he said.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Yet more press for this book, this time at the LA Times:

But there's more to this than mad scientist and his toys. Former chief technology officer of Microsoft (he managed the development of Windows) and a founder of patent firm Intellectual Ventures, Myhrvold will be coming out with his own highly anticipated cookbook, "Modernist Cuisine," sometime in the not-too-distant future. He describes it as "an encyclopedic treatment of modern cooking," including instructions for the avant-garde techniques that have sparked what Myhrvold calls a culinary revolution — think of it as "The Joy of Cooking" for the Ferran Adrià set.

It's six volumes including a waterproof kitchen manual, 2,400 pages and more than 43 pounds (without its acrylic case). He and his publicists like to say that it weighs as much as a small child and that if you break down the retail price — $625 — it comes to less than $15 a pound. Some are calling it the next Escoffier, or outlandish, or both.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just been trawling for the further info about the ultrasonic fries, fried water melon, sweet pea veloute on blogs

and found the free excerpt on the site.

This little fan-dance has teasingly raised my excitement without sating it.

Damn you Myhrvold an extra 3 months!

:blink::angry::laugh:

Edited by adey73 (log)

I agree, great reading. I have the book ordered since it was released and really hope that there will be no complications with delivery to Ireland. (ordered in May for 500 and then re-ordered in June for 429.85 dollars!!)Not to pick holes in the New York Times article, but, was the sous vide thread not started by Fay Jai? or was this a pseudonym for nathanm?

i'm just curious.

Edited by umami5 (log)

Finally ordered mine ($500, not $420 any more - procrastination has a price) and was stunned that Amazon (US) thinks it will cost $9 for shipping to New Zealand. Is this a bargain, or is the myth that Americans don't know where NZ is true?? :raz:

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Also, the current issue of Food Arts magazine (subscribers should be getting it now) has a big article on the book.

I just read the article in Food Arts. It was really fascinating, and I am still laughing at the fact Chris Young now thinks at least two centrifuges are essential in the kitchen. You and your team did a great job, and I can't wait for the book to come out in March.

I like to say things and eat stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Nextguy. I did the same thing. I waited 2 days in hopes the price would drop at Amazon.com, but it didn't and I don't want to chance missing the discount on my preorder so I cancelled my order with Amazon.com. The shipping from Canada was just CDN $9.98. I was very pleasantly surprised at that. I think $400 for those books is a screaming deal.

This is funny, maybe I shouldn't have addressed my post to Canadians! I didn't know amazon.ca was available outside of Canada. Whenever I try to order from amazon.com it says I am not allowed.

Glad I could help.

Do you use your existing account or try to open a new account?

Thank you,

I have just ordered from amazon.ca with express delivery to Ireland for 425 Can$. thats working out less than €300!! This is my third time to order. Not sure should i cancel my order from amazon.com yet though? ($429)I have had pre-ordered books "not available" after release, should i hold on to both?