• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a Roaster Oven

aliaseater

We just purchased a 18 qt. roaster oven to free up our regular oven for other Thanksgiving uses. We figure on doing the turkey in it.

Tonight's first experiment, roasting a chicken, was a bit frustrating. While the bird was juicy and tasty, it looked really anemic and took a bit longer to cook than we expected.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using a roaster oven--can I really get it to brown things eventually or will they just dry out too much?

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

We have an 18 qt. Nesco and absolutely love it. We do turkeys, ribs, ham and huge amounts of chili, stew, etc. Everything turns out moist and wonderful - none of that slow cooker tastelessness even though I've heard people say that it is basically a giant slow cooker. You are never going to get crisp, brown poultry skin on it, though. We don't care about that anymore. It frees up the oven for everything else on holidays and I've never cooked a more moist, flavorful turkey. It does cook things faster than the directions indicate, though - check things early.