• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sticky Toffee Pudding

DanM

I am planning on making sticky toffee pudding tomorrow for a friend who is British and is hosting this months homebrewer's club meeting featuring English bitters and pale ales. I found this recipe by Jamie Oliver, but I have no experience or knowledge of this dessert. Does this look authentic? Does anyone have a better formula?

Thanks

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Here's one that I've used quite a bit: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sticky-Toffee-Pudding-104071

It seems to me that Jamie's recipe has too many ingredients. Most recipes I've come across don't have spices and I like the dates left in small chunks rather than pureed. They kind of melt into the cake anyways. I also prefer to use a caramel sauce made with just burnt white sugar, cream, butter and a bit of corn syrup rather than the brown sugar sauce many recipes mention. I think the burnt taste of real caramel compliments the pudding very well. Definitely serve with whipped cream, creme anglais or a good vanilla icecream.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I voice a Third for date chunks.

I have useda recipe by Stephanie Alexander (Australian chef) with good success... I don't actually see STP as a very difficult/fussy dessert, so I think you'll do well with any reputable recipe. It's so loaded with sugar and fat anyway :)

One thing I have done which I like is to bake it in muffin tins, so they come out individually portioned. Which the person in the blog I linked to did as well.

I haven't tried making a caramel sauce with dark/burnt sugar like Canadian suggests, but I have been meaning to. Anything that adds an 'edge' would be welcome, I think.

I haven't tried RLB's recipe yet but it does sound intriguing with its addition of stout to the batter and the usage of dark brown sugar in the toffee sauce. It's publicly available here.

Do report back your findings if you do find it :).

Thanks everyone and thanks for the recipe on Epicurious. In the end, I used Jamie Oliver's recipe due to the weight measurements (yeah, I am a pastry snob) but I only "wizzed" half of the dates and left the rest in chunks. It also gave me a chance to try out the cake spice mix from the spice house. In the end, the two Brits at the meeting were not familiar with sticky toffee pudding. Oh well, good deeds never go unpunished.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the recipe on Epicurious. In the end, I used Jamie Oliver's recipe due to the weight measurements (yeah, I am a pastry snob) but I only "wizzed" half of the dates and left the rest in chunks. It also gave me a chance to try out the cake spice mix from the spice house. In the end, the two Brits at the meeting were not familiar with sticky toffee pudding. Oh well, good deeds never go unpunished.

Dan

Glad it worked out. In the future if you need a recipe converted to weights just let us know. Many of us prefer weights and once you know the equivalents you'll be able to convert just about anything.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden