• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyo-Sabores: Just Freeze Dried Fruit?

Harky

I'm having trouble finding these from the Texturas line from El Bulli (there's a couple recipes with them I want to make from www.albertyferranadria.com). Are the Lyo-Sabores just freeze dried fruit? Or do they use a different process?

Edited by Harky (log)

Hi Harky.

Yep, it's my understanding that's exactly what they are. To quote from the Hobbychef site (translation courtesy of Google): Selected from the finest natural ingredients to which water has been completely removed, while maintaining its flavor, aroma and color originals. They are vacuum-packed products, without any preservatives to enjoy all the quality and nutritional value.

I've tasted the 'real' lyo-sabores and they're very good, but I can't see why other freeze-dried or otherwise dehydrated fruit shouldn't work for you.

Good luck,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Thanks Leslie, I found some places that I could order from that delivered to the U.S. (for some reason the Lyo-Sabores are hard to find from U.S. distributors), but knowing I can just substitute other brands of freeze-dried fruit makes things a lot easier.