• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts

hansjoakim

I just noticed that the book "The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts" is up for pre-order on Amazon.com.

The publishing date is Nov. 1st 2009, but it's apparently not out just yet. It looks tempting, but I was wondering if any you have looked into the book already? According to the description, the book is based on Jacques Torres' curriculum, taught at the FCI.

I'm curious whether this is another book in same style as Gisslen, Friberg and Suas, or whether it brings something new to the table?

Cheers!

I've been anticipating this release too, and while it's possible that it would follow the style of the pro books, the description does say that it's indispensable for a serious home baker (the catalog also adds, beginning professional pastry chef). You might want to use the other book in the series, The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Cuisine by the same publisher (Stewart Tabori and Chang) as a reference.

EDIT: Should've put my glasses on. This page:

http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/The_Fundamental_Techniques_of_Classic_Pastry_Arts-9781584798033.html

has a preview on the upper right corner.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.