• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Night in DC

tkrongold

Greetings - NJ eGullet member coming to DC for one night in late December. Would love the DC group's input about where to eat. Have read lots of great reviews on Michel Richard's Central & CityZen but would love a first hand report. Other thoughts? Thanks!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Your choices are plentiful! CityZen is arguably one of the best restaurants in DC and Central is Michel Richards (of Citronelle fame) second restaurant. Both will offer superb food - the major difference being CityZen is prix fix while Central is a "bistro" type restaurant. I've eaten at both a number of times and find the choice difficult. It might be an issue of reservation availability. The CityZen prix fix is $75 for the three-course and $110 for the six course menus, well worth it. Throw in wine and you're looking at $150 - $200 per person. Central will be less expensive and nearly as good with more selection. The Lobster Burger is out of this world, as is the Faux Gras (made with chicken livers), and be sure to have an order of the cheese puffs.

Two excellent sources of information about dining in DC are the Washingtonian Magazine Best 100 list and the Chowhound message board. You'll never have a bad meal choosing from the Washingtonian Best 100 or Cheap Eats lists.

Good luck and enjoy DC!

Sometimes you're the pigeon,

Sometimes you're the statue.

I am in the minority on this, but I have never come away from a meal at Central not feeling disappointed. Not that it's bad, but I don't think it's ever lived up to its hype. On the other hand, I do love CityZen, which does a brilliant job of walking the line between bloodless, intellectual modernism and high-end soul food.

This is clearly a "what are you in the mood for" thing, though. Central never claims to be more than an extremely sophisticated bistro -- you can get a (much beloved) hamburger there for chrissake. CityZen aims to be one of the best restaurants in the country and, IMHO, succeeds.

You might also want to investigate Komi, if you're in the mood for many courses of understated food. I am of two mind of the place -- sometimes I want to say "big deal, it's a fucking olive with cheese in it." And sometimes I think that anyone who did more than thinly slice the brilliantly selected fish, for crudo, would be an idiot. Over 12 or 15 courses, you'll have plenty of time to ponder. Has a great feel to it, too, stuck in a rowhouse on a neighborhood commercial strip and and nice in a way that a friend with excellent taste but little money might do their ground floor.

You might also want to investigate Palena. The other day we had a meal in the cafe, where you can get yet another expensive burger or the legendary roast chicken, or order off the restaurant menu and the food was blindingly good. I asked myself, "why has it been so long since I ate here?" and then I remembered "oh yeah, because the waiter was an asshole," and the place has been known for having service issues. But, not having eaten in the main dining room for a while I'd cross my fingers and hope that service has improved. And why Ruta doesn't get four stars from the Washington Post I don't know, because his food is astonishing.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thank you both for great input. I think Central will be the choice - a) because it is a little less formal and I think that suits the mood for the evening, b) the menu looks terrific, and c) CityZen has no availability that night. Will definitely try to get to CityZen in the future!

Thanks, again.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Thank you both for great input. I think Central will be the choice - a) because it is a little less formal and I think that suits the mood for the evening, b) the menu looks terrific, and c) CityZen has no availability that night. Will definitely try to get to CityZen in the future!

Thanks, again.

As a regular visitor to DC (and a sensible person in general), I would advise you to pay close attention to Busboy's advice.

That said, and understanding that your decision is mostly, if not completely, made, you also might want to consider Proof and Vidalia.

Here's some recent info about Proof. And here's their website.

Here's some recent info about Vidalia. And here's their website.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have had extremely good experiences at Proof and Vidalia recently and for anyone who's going to be in DC of a Friday night would heartily recommend Vidalia's "Pig and Pinot" special. Chef RJ Cooper (full disclosure: he's something of a good buddy) has a thing for pork and Friday happy hours are a lesson in nose-to-tail cooking. The other night, jowl with penut sauce was out of this world -- Georgia meets Java -- and the ham he spent 18 months curing was spectacular.

Also, one of the best-kept secrets in town is the $50 bar menu at CityZen. Not quite the smae experience as the regular menu but a wonderful way to sample Ziebold's food. And, while it's possible (it's ridiculous that it seems never to happen), I haven't known the bar to ever fill up.

I'm on the pavement

We loved our meal at Blue Duck Tavern, swanky place in the Hyatt with outstanding food. I had the whole fish which was interesting in presentation and absolutely delicious. The apple pie for dessert did not disappoint. Our other meal in DC was at Flume @ the Jefferson Hotel, it is now my second fave all-time restaurant with Le Bernardin moving into 1st place. It is over the top wonderful, service is impeccable, the food amazing and the ambiance is very formal and elegant. The Crab Risotto for $34 was perfect. Enjoy your time DC, it's such an amazing city! :)

We went to Proof last night in response to the recommendations on this thread and had an incredible meal. Started with an assortment of terrines, pâtés and cured meats, one more interesting than the other.

Among the main courses, we tried the duck confit (crispy, yet moist) with the lamb sausage, the sablefish and the wreckfish (with a Thai theme layered on bok choy and red curry sauce). Also, we ordered a side of broccoli sautéed with Amish butter and parmesan cheese that was perfectly crisped.

The menu was creative and all of the dishes were prepared with skill. Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

For myself, I'd have to say that Komi is my absolute favorite restaurant in DC. Possibly my absolute favorite restaurant anywhere. I eat there at least once a month and have never been anything but blown away by the absolute perfection of every course. As Busboy said, sometimes it's "an olive with cheese", but it's a house-cured olive so fresh that you can taste the wind blowing through the olive grove on the Costa del Sol. Get the tasting menu with matching wines.

Among the main courses, we tried the duck confit (crispy, yet moist) with the lamb sausage, the sablefish and the wreckfish (with a Thai theme layered on bok choy and red curry sauce).

The menu was creative and all of the dishes were prepared with skill. Highly recommended.

The chef used to work at a respected if not beloved restaurant call Asia Nora and his work with Asian themes is usually very good.

As Busboy said, sometimes it's "an olive with cheese", but it's a house-cured olive so fresh that you can taste the wind blowing through the olive grove on the Costa del Sol. Get the tasting menu with matching wines.

Given Chef Monis's Greek roots, I'd suggest that the smell is rather of the Ionian Coast of the Peloponnese... :wink:

I'm on the pavement

• 5 weeks later...

Update: we had a wonderful dinner at Central on Dec 29. The food and service were terrific. We started with the Gougeres (light, delicious), followed by a roast pork loin special served with butternut squash puree and broccolini, accompanied by a very nice Pinot Noir. Only had room for a scoop of the Malted Vanilla ice cream for dessert. The bread served with dinner was outstanding. It was packed on a Tuesday evening but the wait staff hummed. Excellent dinner! I would definitely recommend Central. Many thanks to the DC eGullet members for the great conversation around this topic and recommendations!

SAM_0279.JPG

SAM_0281.JPG

SAM_0284.JPG

www.cookstour.netMy Blog