• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe search -- Pane coi Santi (sp?)

melissafitz

i visited siena a little over a year ago, and must have tried this bread from every bakery i could find. it's a rustic loaf, with raisins (the saints, i believe), maybe anise and definitely pepper. i even brought back some of the bread and immediately put it in the freezer when i got home. i am slightly embarrassed to say that i still have an end piece in the freezer -- i'm afraid to throw it away, in the fear that i will lose all connections with this amazing bread forever.

so, i'm looking desperately for a recipe and thought, instead of blindly searching the web (which has yielded limited results), here would be the best place search. anyone able to point me in the right direction?

best,

melissa

I love it. My favorite ones are from Pierini and for a more peppery version, Sinatti.... I have the recipe from a Sienese Cookbook I have.

This is my best translation:

Pan Co` Santi

10 grams fresh anise

100 grams Shortening (The recipe calls for Strutto)

40 grams fresh yeast (lievito di birra)

250 grams of walnuts

250 grams of raisins

50 grams sugar

500 grams flour

20 grams butter

salt

pepper

To prepare the anise: combine anise with 1 small (espress sized) cup of water for 2 minutes. Strain water in a large bowl and combine with the shortening, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, yeast, deshelled walnuts, raisins, sugar and flour. Mix and knead until your hands come clean.If necessary add water. However, if the dough sticks to your hands, you'll need to add shortening.

Butter a large pan, Shape into forms you want (book says pagnottine, small loaves/panini) place on pan, and cover with a cloth rag. Let the pagnottine rise for 30/40 minutes and then cook in a pre-heated oven for 50 minutes at 180 degrees...

Ricettario di Siena. Testimonianze di cucine e tradizioni di un popolo. Tesi a cura di (Edited by) Sonia Pallai in collaboration with Claudia Buracchini and Laurent Coppini.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. You might want to check out Divina Cucina's recipe pages, she surely has a recipe......

Edited by ambra (log)

Well, I was editing my post up there and the site went down in the middle of it...so the typos up there will have to remain....

This is my best translation:

Pan Co` Santi

10 grams fresh anise

100 grams Shortening (The recipe calls for Strutto)

40 grams fresh yeast (lievito di birra)

250 grams of walnuts

250 grams of raisins

50 grams sugar

500 grams flour

20 grams butter

salt

pepper

To prepare the anise: combine anise with 1 small (espress sized) cup of water for 2 minutes. Strain water in a large bowl and combine with the shortening, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, yeast, deshelled walnuts, raisins, sugar and flour. Mix and knead until your hands come clean.If necessary add water. However, if the dough sticks to your hands, you'll need to add shortening.

Butter a large pan, Shape into forms you want (book says pagnottine, that's small loaves/panini) place on pan, and cover with a cloth rag. Let the pagnottine rise for 30/40 minutes and then cook in a pre-heated oven for 50 minutes at 180 degrees celsius...

Ricettario di Siena. Testimonianze di cucine e tradizioni di un popolo. Tesi a cura di (Edited by) Sonia Pallai in collaboration with Claudia Buracchini and Laurent Coppini.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. You might want to check out Divina Cucina's recipe pages, she surely has a recipe......

Edited by ambra (log)