• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good stores near Metro Poissoniere?

Vinotas

Well there are plenty of good food stores and markets all over Paris... My advice would be to just browse and discover.

Okay, there's the very interesting Turkish halal butchers and grocers on rue du Faubourg-Saint-Denis (Southern section), but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

Well, I usually stay over by Places Blance/Clicy, so this is a new part of town for me and I wanted to get some idea of what was available in the area. I'll still go to the open markets, but was hoping there were some interesting stores near the place I was staying at.

That said, Turkish Halal butchers could be good too. I am Franco-Lebanese, so similar ingredients.

Well, I usually stay over by Places Blance/Clicy, so this is a new part of town for me and I wanted to get some idea of what was available in the area. I'll still go to the open markets, but was hoping there were some interesting stores near the place I was staying at.

That said, Turkish Halal butchers could be good too. I am Franco-Lebanese, so similar ingredients.

I do not live close to that neighborhood so when I am there, I do raid those Turkish stores. They have good lamb but besides that it is a pleasure to browse through the grains, pulses, dried fruit, jams, spices, etc.

You have two covered markets nearby. One on rue du Château-d'Eau (n°31/33) and the marché Saint-Quentin on bd de Magenta, kind of expensive but quite interesting.

There is a street market near métro Poissonnière, bordered with nice shops — quite interesting but I forget where it is precisely. You'll find it easily.

OK, Rue des Martyrs had some interesting stuff, but the covered markets at St Quentin and Chateau d'Eau were so-so, especially during the week. Anyway, I spent most of my time at business dinners, so I really didn't get to cook much. I found some gorgeous chanterelles at Chateau D'Eau and gave them to a friend, who cooked them the night after I returned to the US and said they were fantastic.

What a tease. :blink:

Sorriest I discovered this thread late.

Near you

- Cisternino, 46 Rue du Faubourg Poissonnière, Paris's best épicerie italienne.

- Ferme St Hubert, 36 Rue de Rochechouart. Great cheese and dairy products. Daniel Rose steered me there.

- Aurore Capucine. 3 Rue de Rochechouart. Wonderful inventive pastries, often using flowers.

- Heratchian on 6 Rue Lamartine. Great middle-eastern spice store.

On rue des Martyrs, besides

- the presidential baggette at Delmontel, I like

- Aux Papilles gourmands for the charcuteries and

- Seurre for pastries. And of course

- Poissonnerie Bleue, 5 rue des martyrs.

If you are still in Paris on Friday, don't miss the weekly market on Place d'Anvers in the afternoon. People come from the suburbs to queue up for the cheeses of the gentleman in wheelchair at the north end of the market.

Forgive me for this indirect showoff. Here is an article by my husband about the market:

http://www.paris-update.com/fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=433&Itemid=127

Off topic: last weekend was the Marché des producteurs de pays, with wonderful food producers from the southwest, all converging on the picturesque Village St Paul in the Marais. A quantity of foie gras and aiguillettes de canard later, I thought that was the kind of event I would love to put on the France/Paris calendar. But o I tried. The forum tells us to go list these things on the calendar, then steers us to a page where the word "calendar" is nowhere to be found. What's that about?

Edited by Parigi (log)