• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Breakfast Cereal As An Ingredient

My favorite white trash-y potato casserole has Corn Flakes and Special K on top mixed with cheese and butter to make a yummy, gooey and crunchy topping.

OMG :laugh:

You've got to show us the recipe and, hopefully, somewhere where we can see a picture.

Rhonda

Corn flakes are a great extender for ground beef for hamburger patties. Corn flakes and a beaten egg will help 1 lb of ground beef go a very long way. Not only economical, it helps hold in moisture.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My favorite white trash-y potato casserole has Corn Flakes and Special K on top mixed with cheese and butter to make a yummy, gooey and crunchy topping.

OMG :laugh:

You've got to show us the recipe and, hopefully, somewhere where we can see a picture.

Rhonda

I don't have a picture, but it's a recipe my Grandmama tweaked from one she found in the newspaper. A bag of frozen southern style hashbrowns, a can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups, half a bag of cheese (cheddar, generally), a stick of melted butter, and some frozen and chopped onions are all mixed together and put into a buttered (aluminum and disposable, usually) 9x13. Then another half a stick of butter, the other half the bag of cheese, and about a half-cup each Cornflakes and Special K are mixed together and put on top. Bake til golden brown and bubbly.

It's REALLY salty, but good when you get a craving. We generally only make it for Easter (it's really good with ham - more salt!), but Grandmama was recovering from a few surgeries and illnesses this year and lost a lot of weight. She had me make a batch for her and that was all she ate with a few veggies on the side for about a week to help gain back some weight.

The two different kinds of cereal lend a different kind of crunch each.

OK. . . now that I'm thoroughly embarrassed, I'm going home! :rolleyes:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I once had brunch at a restaurant where one of the featured items was a Frosted Flakes french toast. The challah bread was dipped in the batter, then coated on both sides with crushed frosted flakes cereal and cooked. It was pretty tasty.

I once had brunch at a restaurant where one of the featured items was a Frosted Flakes french toast. The challah bread was dipped in the batter, then coated on both sides with crushed frosted flakes cereal and cooked. It was pretty tasty.

Mmmmmmm. . . that sounds good. Frosted flakes are the one junky cereal for which I get cravings now and then. But if I buy a box, I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting. I especially love the intensely sweet milk it produces.

I'm going to have to try it soon. I wonder what else I could make with frosted flakes.

I lurve corn flake crusts and rice krispie treats, but Count Chocula, Fruit Loops and there ilk make me gag. Really. (Sorry David Chang.)Bran cereal recipes make me feel righteous (and regular) but they don't turn me on one bit.

Oatmeal. Gotta think about oatmeal. Scots wha hae and all that.

Cobblers, or apple crisp topping.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I should imagine that Frosted Flakes on top of an egg custard or flan - creme brulee or similar dessert would be quite interesting because of the differing textures.

I recall that back in the 70s or 80s there was a fad where this cereal was layered in parfait glasses between whipped sweet stuff and fruits.

I think it was one of those awful Cool-Whip thingys.... :raz:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cobblers, or apple crisp topping.

In the 70's UK, we did a dessert that was in form similar to a crumble - sliced apples tossed with some sugar, topped with cornflakes, sprinkled with brown sugar, flaked with butter; cornflakes, sugar, butter; cornflakes, sugar, butter. Is that like 'apple crisp' ? It came out nicely toffeed and we used to love it.

Another one was a chocolate bar with a chocolate-and-cornflake mixture (sorry no details), topped with a thin layer of peppermint cream, and topped with melted chocolate.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I know it's not a breakfast cereal so I hope you don't mind this addition, but Cheez-Its make a great extender in meatballs/meatloaf, etc.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Sweet and savory bars/balls are the easiest to play with. Some recent versions I've made: a bar using chocolate peanut butter, leftover mole sauce (from a modification of: http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/duck-mole-cocoa-nibs-and-apricot), pre-spiced pepitas and almonds, brown rice syrup, brown rice cereal and corn puffs, miso-tahini cereal bars with honey nut cheerios, puffed wheat and brown rice cereal, and graham masala flavored with pistachios and arpicots. The addition of bacon has been popular in the past.

I'll use almost any flake or flake blend cereal laying around for smashing and adding to strudel, rugelah, cookies and bars, tea breads, pancakes, muffins, waffles, dutch babies, baked puddings and spoonbreads, pie and cinnamon roll filling. Also for making bases of cheesecakes, and as coating for frying (like, peanut butter capn crunch sweet potato tempura) and topping french toast and casseroles. If the cereal is not too heavily sweetened or flavored, it'll get thrown into faux-meatballs and burgers (I'm vegetarian), or mixed with buttercream or ganache for cake filling.