• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Breakfast Cereal As An Ingredient

I'm so pleased with a recent rack of lamb featuring Corn Flakes in the herb crust that I got to thinking . . . what else can I use from that row of big cereal boxes?

Rice Krispies squares are well known, maybe fried chicken batter with Cap'n Crunch? Count Chocula mole negro?

Real and imaginary concoctions are welcome.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I lurve corn flake crusts and rice krispie treats, but Count Chocula, Fruit Loops and there ilk make me gag. Really. (Sorry David Chang.)Bran cereal recipes make me feel righteous (and regular) but they don't turn me on one bit.

Oatmeal. Gotta think about oatmeal. Scots wha hae and all that.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We've been using corn flake crumbs to coat pork chops for at least 30 years, probably more. I remember we used to buy them in a box, but I don't know if they still sell them.

If I could get a hold of Nestum cereal mix or something similar, I'd make cereal prawns.

Oatmeal hadn't occurred to me. I had some lovely raspberry cranachans whilst in Scotland, a traditional dessert in the style of the fool.

Then there's that yummy standby, the oatmeal cookie, and its slightly more complicated cousin, the ranger cookie. Not only do rangers cookies contain oats, but a quick online search reveals that different recipes call for different breakfast cereals. My mother always used cornflakes. The cookies have a great texture to then, in addition to the wonderful flavor combination.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I recently made curry rice krispie treats that came out great despite my heavy hand with the curry. You do have to use the same amount of marshmallows though to get the stiffness needed.

Now oatmeal. You know that tin of McCann's Irish? That is my great great grandfather attesting to one of the awards. That is "our" oatmeal in this house.

I have used it like barley in stews and like wild rice in side dishes. It stuffs in peppers with sausage just great.

Edited by Doodad (log)

I caramelize corn flakes and rice krispies by melting sugar with a little water, tossing in the cereal until it's coated in crystallized sugar and tossing it over heat until the sugar coating melts and caramelizes on the cereal and then toss in a tiny amount of butter. I then dump it on a silpat and push and toss it around with my fingers until the pieces cool enough to not stick together in clumps. It keeps for a pretty long time in an airtight container and adds a nice crunch to desserts. It also holds up well without going soggy in low moisture mixtures. I use melted chocolate mixed with butter, peanut butter, almond butter, praline paste, etc. and the caramelized cereal then use it as a base layer for desserts. A combination of caramelized rice krispies and unflavored pop rocks in the base is even more fun.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

New Englanders are big fans of their Grape-Nuts ice cream. And I remember having a great bread made with Shredded Wheat many years ago.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

A couple of weeks ago my wife made a tabboule with Grape Nuts, the recipe may have even come from the box itself, and it was really good. For the first hour or so it retained its crunchiness, but softened after that. I liked it both ways, but the crunchy version really caught my attention because it was so unexpected. We're definitely going to do it again, seeing as how we've got the rest of the box of Grape Nuts to deal with.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

We've been using corn flake crumbs to coat pork chops for at least 30 years, probably more. I remember we used to buy them in a box, but I don't know if they still sell them.

I've posted about this before but my mom makes her chicken fried steak using corn flake crumbs as the coating (and actual round steak as the meat...no minute steak for us!). The corn flake coating has just the slightest sweet note.

As for finding them, it really depends on the grocery store. The low end "discount" grocery stores aren't likely to carry them as lack of brand variety seems to be their forté. You're more likely to find them in a higher end grocery store carrying lots of different brands in the flour/baking supplies aisle.

Edited to add that technically this product isn't a true cereal in the spirit of the OP's original question. Corn Flake Crumbs are sold as crumbs/crushed corn flakes in a box. You wouldn't open the box and pour a bowl to eat them like you would other actual cereals.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use breakfast cereals sometimes in my dishes as they can give you crunch to a dish that needs it....... But not as they are:

Fry Rice Krispies in Extra Virgin olive oil until golden.

Fry Corn flakes in Extra Virgin olive oil then season with truffle oil and sea salt when cold

Fry Fruit loops in Burnt butter

To all of the above processes always start with cold oil when you add the cereals this way the oil penetrates the cereal better and flavors it, you want to cook it slowly until golden.

You can add a totally new flavor by adding any powdered flavors to the cereals after cooking like Porcini mushroom, Matcha green tea, citric acid gives a nice kick, etc.

By frying the cereals you also make them more resistant to liquids

But don't be caught in the trap of using them as a gimmick as this is when people will not understand and rightfully criticize what you are doing, remember everything on the plate has to earn it's place and make sense.

Adam

Adam Melonas - Chef

===================================================================================================================================

(Blog)
/
(Wikipedia)
/
(Twitter)

Bran muffins with All-Bran. I had a recipe years ago that used both bran flakes AND All-Bran, but have no idea where it disappeared to.

Snack mix with Cheerios, Chex, pecans and pretzels, flavored with Worcestershire and butter and Tabasco.

Oatmeal as part of the crumble topping (with brown sugar and butter) for baked apples or an apple pie. Or any other fruit, come to think of it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Rice Krispies are an excellent coating for fried shrimp and even lobster. I haven't tried it myself, but I've tasted the results and it was delicious. It's really no different than coating seafood with rice flakes and deep-frying, but the novelty of using actual Rice Krispies adds to the fun of the whole thing. '

I tasted this preparation with chunks of fresh lobster. The Chef dipped the lobster meat in a basic mix of cornstarch and water to act as the "glue," then he dipped the lobster in coarsely ground rice krispies and deep-fried the lobster for just a few minutes. Don't remember the sauce he served it with, but I'm sure that was delicious too!

Edited to add that technically this product isn't a true cereal in the spirit of the OP's original question. Corn Flake Crumbs are sold as crumbs/crushed corn flakes in a box. You wouldn't open the box and pour a bowl to eat them like you would other actual cereals.

:rolleyes:

Actually, I used to eat the crumbs out of a box with milk. I liked them better than the whole flakes. Does that make you feel better about not transgressing the "spirit" of the question? :biggrin:

Actually, I used to eat the crumbs out of a box with milk. I liked them better than the whole flakes.

I like milk with the "end dust" from sweet cereals. Particle size greatly affects the results when you're frying stuff.

Moe Sizlack

More cooking with corn flakes . . .

Buddy down the road gave us some fresh haddock from his boat today. The chilled fillets were coated with chilled beaten egg then coated with a lightly seasoned flour and corn flake mix. Served with chips, greens and tartar sauce.

The cereal added a nice crunch and a little color. There's a good discussion on fish batter here which advocates beer or soda for a light and crisp batter. Nothing carbonated in my fridge, so I went the flour & egg route. I figured corn oil for corn flakes, although I find lard helps get a better golden color.

101_3399.jpg

Moe Sizlack

A couple of years ago I saw a cookbook that was all about using prepared or "cold" cereals, when I was cookbook shopping at Barnes & Noble.

Favorite Cereals cookbook, I think.

I use oatmeal, both steel-cut and flakes (raw organic), or barley (same types) in many dishes - meatloaf and meatballs are improved (in my opinion) with these additions.

Rolled wheat flakes and wheat nuggets lightly toasted in butter are lovely tossed with fresh egg noodles.

I don't keep as much cold cereal on hand as I did years ago when my kids were still home, however there are a few that I like and buy from time to time.

Trader Joe's has a couple that are especially tasty, high fiber and healthy. :smile:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I use oatmeal, both steel-cut and flakes (raw organic), or barley (same types) in many dishes - meatloaf and meatballs are improved (in my opinion) with these additions.

Rolled wheat flakes and wheat nuggets lightly toasted in butter are lovely tossed with fresh egg noodles.

I love to keep such things on hand for so many reasons. I know I should eat more grains more often, as whole and unprocessed as possible.

It's no wonder a typical grocery store has an entire aisle devoted to branded and processed boxed cereals. The ingredients are cheap and the market is huge.

Moe Sizlack

My favorite white trash-y potato casserole has Corn Flakes and Special K on top mixed with cheese and butter to make a yummy, gooey and crunchy topping.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

My favorite white trash-y potato casserole has Corn Flakes and Special K on top mixed with cheese and butter to make a yummy, gooey and crunchy topping.

Emily, you are SO inviting a tornado.

Moe Sizlack