• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Columbia, SC For BBQ

jrichman

Well, my old favorite, Millender's, is unfortunately long gone. I was on assignment at the hotel right next store to Millender's and that family sure took me under their wing. I spent what little free time I had helping them pick pig on Thursdays (roasting day) and hanging out, bussing tables and helping in the kitchen Friday nights.

Anyways, the other BBQ place I liked is Duke's at 2736 Emanuel Church Rd

West Columbia, SC 29170.

Good pig and good sauces. They make mustard, vinegar and a red sauce. Try them all. Even though red is not traditional SC sauce Duke's is really good. They also serve house made potato chips which is a bonus.

There is a local chain in Columbia called Lizard's Thicket. They make really good fried chicken and have great southern side dishes. Great as in the mac & cheese that they make is good but some of the veggies are canned.