• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Online Chili Sources

scott123

A couple of years back, a friend was hooking me up with what I believe were ground New Mexican chiles. They were $5/lb and she'd get them in the early fall (around the harvest). This powder was pure chile bliss. It was dried/ground, but it had this vibrancy/freshness that I've never tasted in a ground spice. It was bright red/brown, very soft to the touch, a little bit moist- absolutely nothing like anything I've ever seen for purchase or ground myself. One whiff and you knew that this hadn't been sitting on a shelf somewhere gathering dust for months. I didn't know a great deal about the source, but, judging from the flavor, you'd swear that the chilis were picked, allowed to dry for a few days, ground, and then immediately shipped.

I say that I 'believe' they were New Mexican, but she was never completely clear on the type. I do know that they had a little more heat than anchos, but were still very mild- which worked out absolutely perfectly for my needs.

My friend and I have since lost touch (really dumb move, I know). I'm fully aware that $5/lb for the best powdered chiles on the planet is a pipe dream, but I would love to find an online source that sold something as phenomenal.

Powder would be ideal, but whole dried chiles would be fine too, as the long as the quality is top notch and the price reasonable.

Edited by scott123 (log)

I usually go with World Spice based out of Seattle for dried chilies, they even carry the ghost Chile. Though I will admit that I haven't had the nerve to order the hottest chile in the planet. And since I live in Oregon, it doesn't take long to get to me.

I'm about to put in an order with The Chile Guy. His prices are excellent and it seems he has rapid enough turnover to keep them fresh. Now if I could find some black chihuacle chiles, I would be a happy camper.

I just gave them a call. $3.50/lb for New Mexican chile powder and a verbal guarantee that I'd be getting powder from 'this' fall's harvest.

I think we've got a winner.

Now comes the hard part- deciding on how much I'm going to need. If memory serves me correctly, I went through 2#s in a year when I had NM chiles available. That involved quite a lot of restraint, though. I think 4# should do the trick. I'm also leaning towards a pound of arbol. A pound will probably last me a decade, but that's the smallest amount I can buy.

*rubbing my hands together* This is SO exciting! I've been chile deprived for way too long.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

My chiles came!!!!!

I got four pounds of the NM mild and one pound of the guajillo (the one pound minimum for the Arbol was just too much for my present needs).

The NM mild is just gorgeous. I am in love (again). I keep opening the ziplock bag, sticking my face in and breathing deeply. I'm intoxicated.

Grand total for five pounds, including shipping to NJ- $25.

My mind is officially blown. $5 a lb. for what appears to be the chile of my dreams.