• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need savory cheese muffin for picky teen

Lior

I would love a savory cheese muffin recipe for my picky vegetarian skin and bones 12 year old daughter. I have bresorted to nutella school sandwiches as everything else comes home uneaten. :angry: She wins. :raz:....

Here you go.Anna says she subs a nice old cheddar for the milder cheese.

Thank you!!! I think a mild cheese will be better for miss picky. I just noticed that they are best warm not room temp. And I guess any cheese as we don't have orange cheddar cheese here-what a pity!

Puff pastry- could that be eaten not warm? Or maybe wrapped up in foil? Thanks all!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Thank you!!! I think a mild cheese will be better for miss picky. I just noticed that they are best warm not room temp. And I guess any cheese as we don't have orange cheddar cheese here-what a pity!

Puff pastry- could that be eaten not warm? Or maybe wrapped up in foil? Thanks all!!

I have used other cheeses - whatever needs using up and can be grated! I have also added crispy bacon bits and chives or scallions for a bit of colour. These freeze well and can be nuked to re-warm (not as good as fresh but perfectly acceptable).

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

oh good. Went to buy cheese and there was no cheddar. I got gouda and two other kinds- kashkaval and Emek which isn't anything great-kids like it though. So we will see.

17 year old boys are great. They can eat an entire baguette - sandwich filled with everything around and then half an hour later complain that there is nothing to "eat in this house"; fridges and cupboards open and close noisily in perfect synchrony to their complaints :laugh: .

I made them all. I even made some gluten free. Everyone likes them and the 12 year old said they were OK. But not for school. Ergh. I think my cheese is too bland as there was no sharpness that cheddar has and I thought, "what is missing?" Maybe salt or spice? Then I realized it is the cheese.

Oh! Good to know that! It enhances but isn't hot or spicy? I know the older "kids" and I would like that but would a child? I love mustard-I must try this for the weekend. Any suggestions for a different cheese? Otherwise I may just go search for cheddar somewhere...

Again-thank you SO much. Both recipes are delicious as I said even with gluten free flour used to replace regular.

Oh! Good to know that! It enhances but isn't hot or spicy? I know the older "kids" and I would like that but would a child? I love mustard-I must try this for the weekend. Any suggestions for a different cheese? Otherwise I may just go search for cheddar somewhere...

Again-thank you SO much. Both recipes are delicious as I said even with gluten free flour used to replace regular.

It doesn't even come across as mustard, really. I don't like mustard myself, but have always put a bit of dry Coleman's in the bechamel for my macaroni and cheese. Not a whole lot, but just enough to up the 'zip' factor a little!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have a really good savory cheese muffin as well. Unfortunately my computer is out of commission right now but this is basically the same thing: http://www.cookingnook.com/muffin-recipes.html . I omit the ham and use cooked broccoli instead. The parmasan cheese makes them yummy. We used to make these in my home ec. foods classes. The kids loved them. And if she doesn't like broccoli - substitute away! When my computer comes back I'll check my recipes and see if there's anything else that might be suitable for a school lunch (that's also vegetarian and liked by kids!).

Ok, I will add mustard cause that "zip is what was missing. Hubby is out now in the rain (YAY!!)looking for parmesan and cheddar. I know Parmesan will be easy to find. I will try the broccoli recipe-she does eat broc! Here is a pic of the muffins. I use silicone muffin cups as in the picture. They work great.

"

Hmm. Well I used to think she was a "supertaster" as she can tell if I added in someone in minute quantities to her morning tea, for example. I had a drop of cream left so I popped about 1/2 a tsp or so into her tea, which she has with milk. Immediately she said, this is different tea. I like the regular. But then she likes foods that supertasters don't. She likes a mild camembert without the white. Motzeralla,cottage cheese.

Well we now have cheddar and parm and I will try the muffins with broccoli. When a recipe says 3 cups ot 1 and a half cup grated cheese, do you measure it loosely? I did.

That was just an example (always good to look at the whole picture presented), and although you are right about mouthfeel, not everyone tastes the diff between tea with whole milk and tea with whole milk and half a teaspoon or less of cream. Anyhow, it was an example even if not a good one and I did come to the conclusion (as mentioned in that post) that she was not a supertaster (thank goodness).

It is really no big deal, just the frustrations of a mom of 4, whereby 3 always eat/ate everything with gusto and one is so picky. We are a family of extreme diverse backgrounds to say the least, and since babyhood all sorts of food was served. I always try to figure out where this came from. It interests me. I must admit I was considered a picky eater as a kid, and my mom's sisters were and some of their daughters are. So I got on to the idea of supertasters being a genetic trait and looked it all up. She is a vegetarian unlike her siblings, and likes broccoli,artichokes,chocolate, camembert and Indian food (when vegetarian) so she is certainly NO supertaster. Just picky/spoiled whatever.

Edited by Lior (log)