• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce for Pork?

ZenTaurus

My favorite for pork chops is Bourdain's recipe from Les Halles.

Les Halles Cookbook

I like to use thick bone-in chops. You brown them on the stove top and then finish them in the oven.

Then, it's essentially just a simple pan gravy with some dijon mustard and finely diced cornichons thrown in at the end. It is brilliant and very easy. I like to add a little thyme as well though I don't think it's in his recipe (I've made it so often I never even look at the original anymore).

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

There are a multitude of good bottled barbecue sauces on the market; I like Sweet Baby Ray's (which may be regional). But if I'm doing a pork loin or loin chops, I prefer a sweet-hot sauce, like:

-- guava jelly, horseradish and white wine

-- raspberries, chipotles in adobo, and red wine

-- pineapple, habaneros, lime juice

and so on and so on.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

At the risk of high jacking this thread (same theme different cooking technique). I find a multitude of grill seasonings for chicken and beef, but nothing for pork. We shop Costco, Sams, other stores, etc.. and I can buy dozens of seasoned salts for chicken and beef and I have yet to find one for pork, and I find that I grill pork more than any other meat. Typically I marinate the pork in asian flavors which works well, but sometimes I just want to throw some seasoning on a pork chop and throw it on the grill. Any good seasoned salts for pork?

At the risk of high jacking this thread (same theme different cooking technique). I find a multitude of grill seasonings for chicken and beef, but nothing for pork. We shop Costco, Sams, other stores, etc.. and I can buy dozens of seasoned salts for chicken and beef and I have yet to find one for pork, and I find that I grill pork more than any other meat. Typically I marinate the pork in asian flavors which works well, but sometimes I just want to throw some seasoning on a pork chop and throw it on the grill. Any good seasoned salts for pork?

Lysander's pork rub is really fantastic. I can only find it at Fresh Market but I'm sure it is readily available online.

Try a Vietnamese twist - you always get a nice dipping plate of chopped chili, salt, pepper, and a wedge of lime to squeeze over the lot when sitting down for a meal in Vietnam. If you were up for it, you could make your own flavoured rub by mixing salt, pepper, chili flakes and lime zest.