• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online source for quality nuts?

bsims

Christmas cookie time is nearing, and my significant other tends to go a bit overboard (gifts, etc.)- to the point where the process is a fairly significant financial expenditure. She mostly laments the cost of nuts purchased at the local market - are there any good online (US-based) sources for quality nuts in bulk quantities that may end up being a bit more economical?

Thanks.

Where are you located?

You have to figure in shipping charges.

I buy a lot of nuts at a local middle eastern market that has prices that are a fraction of the cost in regular stores.

I buy the big packages of walnuts and pecans at Sam's Club or Costco and if you live in an area that has a Trader Joe's, check for their specials - sometimes they will have a particular nut on special that is an excellent buy and the nuts are always very fresh.

There are several excellent internet vendors but again, you have to check the shipping costs.

I've ordered nuts from Krema http://www.krema.com/products.asp?dept=1009

I order from a California company http://www.fruitsstar.com/ which is cheaper for me since it is "local"

and also from http://www.nutsonline.com/

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also purchase most of my nuts at a Middle Eastern market, and the prices are insanely great as compared to regular markets.

But while we're on the subject of online purchases, may I please segue a bit and ask if anyone has ever bought from www.bulkfoods.com ? Their prices seem reasonable for retail, and shipping is free after a certain dollar amount, so my only concerns are quality of product, customer service, and shipping time.

Thanks!

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I agree, unless you're looking for some speciality nut, the club stores, Trader Joe's and sometimes ethnic markets are the best choices.

We also have a store here in Chicago called The Home Economist that has good prices, but that is a unique local situation.

I love the midget pecans from Sunnyland Farms - they're perfect! I've also bought other nuts from them and have been pleased with the quality. In fact, come to think of it, everything I've gotten from them has been excellent and my mother in law now uses them for holiday presents (love their nut brittles!). Shipping is included in the price. They have a website - www.sunnylandfarms.com -

I've purchased from Sunnyland and found their pecans okay but not as flavorful as I like.

I do get a lot of pecans from one of my dad's friends in southern New Mexico, so I don't have to always buy them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I buy a lot of nuts at a local middle eastern market that has prices that are a fraction of the cost in regular stores.

I buy the big packages of walnuts and pecans at Sam's Club or Costco and if you live in an area that has a Trader Joe's, check for their specials - sometimes they will have a particular nut on special that is an excellent buy and the nuts are always very fresh.

There are several excellent internet vendors but again, you have to check the shipping costs.

http://www.nutsonline.com/

The above sources from Andie's list are some of my favorites.

Nutsonline.com is my internet choice by far.

• 6 years later...

Based on a coworker's warm recommendation I recently purchased about five pounds of nuts from nuts.com (which is the same site as nutsonline.com, but requires far less typing).  I was very pleased with the quality and selection.

I also got organic Medjool dates, which I believe are the best dates I have had.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

How interesting. I just placed a large order from them. My father's 95th birthday is coming up & it's hard to get stuff for him. Doesn't need tchotchkes in his small room at the retirement home and recently he has developed diabetes, so most of the treats he likes are out. But the boy loves nuts. So I placed a big order just yesterday. 

And then I come here and read this.

Doo dee doo dah...

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Nuts.com is my go-to online source.  The nuts are pretty darn good, but I also get the organic Turkish figs, candied orange peel, organic Medjool dates, freeze dried fruits- like raspberries that can be pulverized into fine powders for flavorings, other dried fruits, etc. And, if you sign up for the email newsletter, they will send you coupons...usually $5 off, or more.

For pecans, I do make it a point to go off the freeway when coming home from FL or GA, and get locally grown pecans. (I always run out way too fast, but, there's nothing like the fresh ones off the orchards!

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Years after my post in this thread, I can admit that I discovered nuts.com as well and can wholeheartedly recommend them. I also like a company called Superior Nuts based in Cambridge, MA. They have a narrower range of products, more focused on just nuts than nuts.com, but can be a bit cheaper on certain items. I buy a lot of pignolis around the holidays and Superior has had better prices.

In my small business I use a lot of nuts. I also use Nuts.com for bulk buying almond flour but I am not always been very happy with their customer service.

For pistachio I really recommend Santa Barbara Pistachios. Very nice customer service and good organic pistachios. On the hazelnuts front I can suggest Freddy Guys, especially if you are after their oil, really delicious, whole world of difference compared to others I've tried.  On the hazelnut side, I also came to conclusion that is very hard to beat Trader's Joe roasted hazelnuts, especially if you grind your own flour.