• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good desserts to make for a dessert party?

HowardLi

Whatever can be done ahead of time is definitely preferable. I don't mind heating any items up, either, as long as there aren't too many.

Items I'm considering doing:

egg nog

cookies

cheesecake

pecan pie

pound cake

chocolate cake

biscotti

something fruity (oranges are in season now, right?)

You can make pate a choux shells for mini eclairs or creme puffs ahead of time, then fill the day of the event.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Flavours...

Something chocolate (chocolate cake)

Something with nuts (pecan pie)

Something with fruit

Something with citrus

Textures...

Something cake-like (chocolate cake, pound cake)

Something smooth and creamy (egg nog, cheesecake)

Something crisp (biscotti)

Something with chew (pecan pie)

And of course colours, you don't want it to all be beige/brown.

The items you've listed are in brackets so you can see what gaps you need to fill. You're right oranges are in season and you could incorporate orange in your pound cake. Cranberries are plentiful right now so you may want to use them for the fruit dessert. Or you could make vanilla bean cheesecake and serve it with a cranberry compote instead of adding another dessert. Hope this helps.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Biscotti hold well made ahead of time.

Cookie dough freezes really well. Either freeze logs to slice & bake later. Or make drop cookies, freeze lumps of unbaked dough on parchment, then pop into zip-lock bag. Bake right from freezer.

Brownie/bar cookies generally freeze really well. Just bake, cool completely, do NOT slice, wrap well (in several layers) & freeze. Thaw, still well wrapped, on the counter, then slice.

Cheesecake also works well. Bake, cool, wrap well (I would box so wrapping doesn't stick, then wrap box in several layers) & freeze. This time, move wrapped package to fridge to thaw and slice with clean knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry. Cheesecake squares are great for this.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

When I do a dessert party, I always include a cheese tray and some fruit. Frosted grapes make a nice presentation.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Trifle! Covers the creamy fruity side nicely, and it's quick and holds up well. I do a major cheat version with bought pound cake, vanilla pudding from a box (with a slosh of extra pure vanilla extract for a bit of a kick, also a bit of grated nutmeg, ditto) :cool:, frozen mixed berries (fresh, if available are wonderful!) and (gasp) :shock: cool whip over the top. Naturally you can use real whipped cream, but then the dish would have to stay refrigerated, or the cream will collapse. If you're not planning on kids, a nice dollop of sherry or madera (sp?) over the cake is always good. If you object to the gussied-up approach, make your own cake and pudding, then definately use the whipped cream, for fancy. I always macerate the berries in a bit of sugar and wine, because frozen berries are usually pretty bleak; then I use the macerating liquid on the cake.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"