• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Evening Tea

LuckyGirl

Richard mentioned drinking a low-caffeine Houjicha in this thread.

This got me wondering; what are some other low caffeine teas that one might consider for their evening or before bed cuppa.

I occasionally drink chrysanthemum tea at night but I would like to learn more about what teas other than the flower, white or red teas might be good for evening enjoyment.

TIA,

Diane

Edited by LuckyGirl (log)

I think it mostly depends upon how sensitive you are to caffeine. All real teas are going to have enough to get your attention if you are very much sensitive at all. If you are one of those people who can drink a cup of coffee and then go to sleep, it will not make much difference what tea you drink. And it makes a great deal of difference how strong you brew it.

Tisanes, rather than teas, are usually my night time solution.

I do drink tea into the evening, finishing off my daily afternoon brewing, but less often start brewing. When I do, it is usually in very small quantities, starting with 1 or 2 g leaf in a small pot; or I drink an herbal tea, such as chamomile and peppermint or chamomile hibiscus.

I could use some with a little caffeine in it right now, as it happens.

Tisanes, rather than teas, are usually my night time solution.

Richard, care to share what mixture(s) you are using ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb