• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy a marble slab?

sygyzy

• 2 weeks later...

So... granite is fine if I can't find marble?

I think so. Once I got granite countertops (which I did not seal or put any sort of chemicals on) I just worked straight on the counter. So easy. I think granite is less porous than marble?

Granite usually isn't porous, but sometimes it is. Not sure if it's just different composition, or if it is the polishing.

we're doing a remodel and just got a nice piece of marble in the new bathroom and more to come. We bought a whole slab and I'll see that I get the rests finished for kitchen use. Sink cutouts maybe cut round or oval and used as cheese boards etc, and what's left as rectangular I'll have cut to fit my counter in the kitchen.

At the marble place they hat lots of endpieces and broken slabs for cheap and as mentioned above, the cutting places probably have lots they don't need, should be easy to find a nice piece.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I know very little about marble and have been lucky to have been gifted with two pieces of marble, the second one DH built into a wonderful rolling kitchen table for me. Both pieces are fairly impervious to wear and tear. Oh yes, chocolate in exchange for both. :smile:

This past weekend I learned that apparently there is a vast difference in marble from Georgia (good) and Colorado (not good). A friend bought a beautiful marble piece of Colorado marble for a table top and it scratches very easily. I know...I accidentally scratched it myself. She says...make certain if you buy a table top, that it's marble from Georgia.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I know very little about marble and have been lucky to have been gifted with two pieces of marble, the second one DH built into a wonderful rolling kitchen table for me. Both pieces are fairly impervious to wear and tear. Oh yes, chocolate in exchange for both. :smile:

This past weekend I learned that apparently there is a vast difference in marble from Georgia (good) and Colorado (not good). A friend bought a beautiful marble piece of Colorado marble for a table top and it scratches very easily. I know...I accidentally scratched it myself. She says...make certain if you buy a table top, that it's marble from Georgia.

Anyone know anything more about this?

It's funny you should mention this. A few days ago I came across a Christmas card sent to me by a friend who passed away several years ago.

He was a sculptor and worked mostly in the beautiful Madoc marble that is quarried near Niagara, Canada. He worked for a monument company and carved designs for tombs, vaults and the occasional angel or other religious piece. For his own amusement he carved animals, dogs, horses, sea mammals.

The marble slab in my kitchen came from Vermont. On the unpolished underside there is a stamp that identifies it as a "natural product of Vermont."

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett