• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help finding a pickled persimmon recipe

sygyzy

I recently made quick pickles using Chang's Momofuku 3:1 recipe. I have a bunch of pickling spices from The Spice House and I would like to make picked persimmons. My friend is giving me a bag of Fuyu persimmons. The last (and only) time I've had this dish was at Palate in Glendale. The pickle was very light and slightly sweet. It wasn't like sandwich cucumber pickle. If anyone has a recipe to share, it'd be appreciated.

With a case of persimmons running about $10, I'd love to hear more about this, too. Is David Chang's pickle a natural pickle or a vinegar pickle?

Chang has multiple pages on pickles but the one I made is his easiest one. It's just sugar and salt in a 3:1 ratio. He has vinegar pickles too. I am not sure what a natural pickle is...

Chang has multiple pages on pickles but the one I made is his easiest one. It's just sugar and salt in a 3:1 ratio. He has vinegar pickles too. I am not sure what a natural pickle is...

That sounds like a natural pickle---one where the acid is produced by natural fermentation (by some species of Lactobacillus) instead of brought in directly by vinegar.

That being said, that's a sweet pickle! I've typically used 2 salt:1 sugar (to a 5% salt brine, therefore 2.5% sugar), if I even use sugar at all.

Sorry, I wrote it in reverse. Lots more salt than sugar.

Edit: I actually checked and it really is 3:1 sugar to salt. So like a 1 T sugar, 1 t salt.

Got it---that makes a little more sense. :smile:

That being said, what could be done to make for a sweet, light pickle? I've always found vinegar pickles to be a little bit lighter, and we'd probably want to go heavy on the sugar. Do you think they should be left whole? This recipe leaves them whole while this one chops them into chunks. If I have time this weekend, I'll start an experiment: natural vs. vinegar, whole vs. cut.

Thanks for finding those. I have not have had much luck googling. I will make some this weekend too and see how they turn out.

Here are some recipes for sweet pickles and summer fruits from Alton Brown. Ignore the call for cucumbers and onion. Just put it persimmons.

Sweet

1/2 yellow onion

2 med cucumbers

1 c water

1 c cider vinegar

1.5 c sugar

pinch kosher salt

1/2 t mustard seed

1/2 t tumeric

1/2 t celery seed

1/2 t pickling spice

Bring to boil, simmer 4 minutes.

Summer Fruits

1 c water

1 c sugar

1 c rice wine vinegar

1/2 lemon sliced thin

1 T ginger root

1 sprig mint

Simmer only, does not need to come to a boil. Cool then refrigerate 2 days to a week.

Edited by sygyzy (log)